Langan Completes Solar Bears Comeback against Stingrays in 4-3 OT Win
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears (6-9-3-1) battled back from two separate deficits and Tristin Langan netted the game-winner as the home team defeated the South Carolina Stingrays (14-2-1-0) by a 4-3 score in overtime on Monday night at the Jewett Orthopaedic Rink at Amway Center.
The Stingrays put Orlando in an early hole when Jordan Klimek scored just 59 seconds into the game, beating Zachary Fucale with a snap shot to the blocker side.
South Carolina took a two-goal lead at 9:01 of the first when Andrew Cherniwchan roofed a backhand shot at the side of the net that deflected into the net off the crossbar.
The Solar Bears got on the board when Michael Brodzinski's wrist shot from the left point glanced off of Jake Coughler's waist and past Parker Milner at 14:26 for Coughler's first goal with the Solar Bears.
Blake Kessel drew the Solar Bears even at 2-2 during the second period with Orlando on the man advantage, as the defenseman received a pass from Alexey Lipanov and fired a wrist shot from the right point that beat Milner high at 5:42.
The Stingrays took a 3-2 lead minutes later when Jonathan Charbonneau netted a power-play goal by knocking in a rebound past Fucale during a scramble at the front of the Orlando net at 7:20.
Trevor Olson tied the score once again for the Solar Bears in the opening minute of the third period when Colby McAuley found Olson in the slot, and the forward snapped a shot past Milner 53 seconds into the frame to even the match at 3-3 with his fourth goal of the season.
Regulation ended with the score still tied, and the Solar Bears came away with their first win of the season in extra time when Langan hopped off the bench and took a pass from Coughler up the left side of the ice before roofing a shot over Milner's blocker 2:38 into the extra session for his fourth goal of the season, and first career game-winner.
Fucale earned his third win of the season with 24 saves on 27 shots against; Milner took the overtime loss with 35 stops on 39 shots against.
1) Colby McAuley - ORL
2) Tristin Langan - ORL
3) Jake Coughler - ORL
McAuley (2a), Kessel (1g-1a), Coughler (1g-1a) and Brodzinski (2a) all had two-point outings for the Solar Bears
McAuley and Cody Donaghey led Orlando with five shots on goal
Olson, Langan and Chris LeBlanc now lead the active roster with four goals
The win moves Orlando up to fifth place in the South Division, ahead of Norfolk and Jacksonville (both idle tonight)
Monday's win marked the first time this season Orlando earned a victory when trailing after two periods (1-7-0-0)
The Solar Bears host the Jacksonville Icemen on Thursday, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m. for a Thirsty Thursday, presented by Coors Light - fans can take advantage of $5 domestic draft beers during the game.
Orlando squares off against the Atlanta Gladiators for the first time this season later this week in a pair of games on Friday, Dec. 6 and Saturday, Dec. 7. Saturday's game is also our annual Teddy Bear Toss game - fans are encouraged to bring new or gently used teddy bears or stuffed animals to be thrown onto the ice when the Solar Bears score their first goal of the game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2019
- Langan Completes Solar Bears Comeback against Stingrays in 4-3 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Come up Short to Orlando in OT - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Weekly: Bring Your Teddy to the Game - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Admirals Acquire Former 1st-Round Pick Phillips from Worcester - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Rookie Plus Performer for November - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Roe Shares Honor as ECHL's AMI Graphics Plus Performer of Month - Florida Everblades
- Allen's Sadek, Florida's Roe Share AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - December 2, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wednesday's Game at Rapid City Postponed - Wichita Thunder
- Cam Maclise Loaned to AHL's Chicago Wolves - Florida Everblades
- Wednesday's Game vs Thunder Postponed - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Weekly, December 2 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 8 (November 25 - December 2, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: KC Makes Headway with Weekend Sweep in Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets Push Win Streak to Five Games - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Weekly Report: 4 Games in Canada this Week - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Completes Successful 4-1 Homestand - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Weekly: Calling All Teddy Bears - Maine Mariners
- Frechette Named Honig's/ECHL Official of the Month - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.