Mariners Weekly: Calling All Teddy Bears
The final month of 2019 will feature just three opponents for the Maine Mariners. The 11 games on the December slate will feature six with the Adirondack Thunder, three with the Worcester Railers, and two with the Reading Royals. The Adirondack matchups will have particularly key standings implications, with the Mariners chasing down the Thunder for the fourth playoff spot in the North - currently five points back with three games in ahnd. It all begins with a home-and-home this weekend as the Mariners kick off the "2nd quarter" of their season. Saturday night brings one of the most anticipated promotions of the year as stuffed animals will fly onto the ice after the first Mariners goal - this season benefitting local fire departments.
The week that was
Tuesday, Nov. 26th - WOR: 4, MNE: 5/OT
It was the first of nine visits to the Cross Insurance Arena for the Worcester Railers, and it turned out to be one of the crazier games of the season. Three goals were scored in the first six minutes, and it was a 2-2 game at the end of one. Despite Ryan Gropp breaking the tie less than a minute into the 2nd, Worcester flipped the game with two goals in the period's final minutes to take a 4-3 lead into the third. Gropp got the equalizer and Alex Kile played hero in overtime for the second time in November. FULL GAME RECAP & HIGHLIGHTS
Friday, Nov. 29th - IND: 6, MNE: 0
The inaugural meeting between the Mariners and Indy Fuel took place on Friday at the Cross Insurance Arena. What was a very even game through almost two full periods, turned ugly for the Mariners in rapid fashion. Leading 1-0 late into the 2nd, the Fuel scored a pair late to build a 3-0 lead through two. They continued to pile on with two more early in the 3rd and quickly put the game out of reach. The Fuel ended a seven game losing streak with their win. FULL GAME RECAP & HIGHLIGHTS
Saturday, Nov. 30th - NFL: 5, MNE: 2
The Mariners goal drought reached five period when they found themselves down 2-0 to the Growlers entering the third. Cumberland native Ted Hart provided a spark with his first home ice goal in the third, leading to Jake Elmer's equalizer just 19 seconds after. The Mariners couldn't hold the momentum, however - as Brady Ferguson scored his second goal of the game on the power play midway through the period for what turned out to be the game-winner. FULL GAME RECAP & HIGHLIGHTS
Transactions (oldest to most recent)
This week's schedule (all times Eastern)
Fri, Dec. 6 vs. Adirondack Thunder - 7:00 PM (AWAY)
Sat, Dec. 7 vs. Adirondack Thunder - 6:00 PM (HOME) - Teddy Bear Toss presented by Maine Bureau of Highway Safety
This week's meetings with Adirondack will be the fourth and fifth of 18 this season, Adirondack having won two of the first three. Both teams are 5-5-0 in their last 10 games and struggling to find consistency. Adirondack was blown out twice at home by Brampton on Friday and Saturday, but rebounded to win in overtime at Brampton on Sunday. Saturday night's Teddy Bear Toss is presented by the Maine Bureau of Highway Safety, with all collected stuffed animals benefiting local fire departments. The first 2,000 fans through the door will receive a collectible mini-stick courtesy of Jobs in ME. As with all Saturday and Sunday home games, Family Four Packs are available when purchased in advance. Family four packs include four tickets, four food and drink vouchers, and four Mariners can koozies, starting at $80. The full promotional schedule is here. More information on the second annual Teddy Bear Toss can be read in the story under "Community News" below.
SECOND ANNUAL TEDDY BEAR TOSS IS DECEMBER 7TH
Mariners Coach's Show
The Mariners Coach's Show will air on Tuesday, December 3rd this week from 6-7 PM, broadcasting live from Three Dollar Deweys in downtown Portland. Video coach Cam Briere and defenseman Marc-Olivier Crevier-Morin will join Mariners broadcaster Michael Keeley this week. Four ice row tickets to an upcoming game will be given away. The show will return to its normal Thursday night slot next week (December 12th). The Mariners Coach's Show streams live via Mixlr at MarinersOfMaine.com/listen.
The Mariners have a total of four home games in the month of December. They host Adirondack again on Tuesday, December 10th with an appearance by Santa Claus. The Mariners head on the road for four games leading up to the holiday break, and return to the Cross Insurance Arena December 26th (Nickelodeon Takeover Night) and 27th (STEM Day) to host Adirondack and Reading, respectively. The full promotional schedule is here.
Early bird pricing on Holiday Packs will last one more day, with Blizzard and Flurry packs still available, starting at $65 when purchased by December 3rd. Snowflakes packs are currently sold out. Holiday packs can be purchased through the Mariners online shop here.
The Mariners and the Cross Insurance Arena are collecting new packages of underwear and socks to benefit the Preble Street Teen Center at home games in the months of December and January. Fans who donate five items will receive a ticket to a Mariners weekday game. Items MUST be donated at the Promotions Port to the right of the main security gates. While the Mariners will accept donations at their office, fans are not eligible to receive tickets unless the items are donated at a game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2019
- Langan Completes Solar Bears Comeback against Stingrays in 4-3 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Come up Short to Orlando in OT - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Weekly: Bring Your Teddy to the Game - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Admirals Acquire Former 1st-Round Pick Phillips from Worcester - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Rookie Plus Performer for November - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Roe Shares Honor as ECHL's AMI Graphics Plus Performer of Month - Florida Everblades
- Allen's Sadek, Florida's Roe Share AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - December 2, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wednesday's Game at Rapid City Postponed - Wichita Thunder
- Cam Maclise Loaned to AHL's Chicago Wolves - Florida Everblades
- Wednesday's Game vs Thunder Postponed - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Weekly, December 2 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 8 (November 25 - December 2, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: KC Makes Headway with Weekend Sweep in Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets Push Win Streak to Five Games - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Weekly Report: 4 Games in Canada this Week - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Completes Successful 4-1 Homestand - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Weekly: Calling All Teddy Bears - Maine Mariners
- Frechette Named Honig's/ECHL Official of the Month - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Mariners Stories
- Mariners Announce 2021-22 Schedule
- Local Restaurants Receive Surprise Donations from Mariners
- Bobby Dorr Wins 2021 Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award
- Toss a Tomato, Win Some Dough Goes Virtual, with Drop from Rafters
- Maine Mariners Hockey Returns October 22 vs. Worcester