Stingrays Weekly Report - December 2
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - After a light week that consisted of just a single contest, the South Carolina Stingrays begin a busy 4-game stretch on Monday in Orlando before heading to Atlanta for a mid-week matchup against the Gladiators and finish in Florida for a pair of rivalry games with the Everblades. South Carolina improved their league-best winning percentage to 0.875 with a 2-0 victory over Orlando on Saturday night, the first shutout of rookie goaltender Logan Thompson's career. The Stingrays have won eight consecutive road games and lead the South Division with 28 points. SC's team defense has also been outstanding this season, allowing an ECHL-best 2.06 goals per contest while leading all teams with four shutouts. Saturday night's shutout was the team's second straight blank slate. The club has not allowed a tally in seven consecutive periods, dating back to the second frame of last Friday night's win in Florida on Nov. 22.
Monday's meeting in Orlando is the fifth time the Rays and Solar Bears will see each other during the 2019-20 campaign. South Carolina has won all four of the previous meetings this season. Wednesday's tilt in Atlanta will be the second of 10 contests with the Gladiators, while the weekend series in Florida will be the third and fourth time the Stingrays and Everblades have faced-off.
STINGRAYS RECORD: 14-2-0-0
LAST WEEK: 1-0-0-0
SATURDAY: SOUTH CAROLINA STINGRAYS 2, ORLANDO SOLAR BEARS 0
(Amway Center - Orlando, FL)
Logan Thompson kept the Orlando Solar Bears off the scoreboard with 36 saves to earn his first professional shutout in a 2-0 win for the South Carolina Stingrays on Saturday night at the Amway Center. South Carolina defensemen Matt Nuttle and Tommy Hughes both netted their first goals of the season in the victory, the club's 10th on the road this season. Thompson was at his best in the third period, helping South Carolina kill off an extended penalty kill after three straight penalties were assessed to the Rays in a span of just 1:17. The netminder finished with 14 saves in the final frame.
Monday, December 2 - at Orlando Solar Bears, 7 p.m. (Amway Center)
Wednesday, December 4 - at Atlanta Gladiators, 7:05 p.m. (Infinite Energy Center)
Friday, December 6 - at Florida Everblades, 7:30 p.m. (Hertz Arena)
Saturday, December 7 - at Florida Everblades, 7 p.m. (Hertz Arena)
Goals: 8 - Mark Cooper
Assists: 15 - Dan DeSalvo
Points: 18 - Dan DeSalvo
Plus/Minus: Plus-14 - Tom Parisi
Penalty Minutes: 19 - Mark Cooper
Shots On Goal: 61 - Mark Cooper
Wins: 7 - Parker Milner
Goals Against Average: 1.27 - Parker Milner
Save Percentage: 0.948 - Parker Milner
THOMPSON EARNS FIRST CAREER SHUTOUT
Rookie goaltender Logan Thompson earned his first professional shutout Saturday by stopping 36 shots during a 2-0 win in Orlando. The netminder has bested the Solar Bears twice this season, allowing just two goals against in the pair of victories. Overall, the Calgary, Alberta native has a record of 6-2-0 in eight starts to begin his rookie year, posting a goals-against average of 2.47 and a save percentage at 0.907.
COOPER MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Forward Mark Cooper has been hot as of late, following up a two-goal performance in Florida with an assist in Saturday's win over Orlando. Cooper has been on the scoresheet in eight of the team's last 10 games and finished the month of November with 10 points in 10 contests (6g, 4a). The Toronto, Ontario native has also scored goals in four of the five Stingrays home games this year while totaling 16 points in 16 games overall (8g, 8a) with a +10 rating.
VANDERLAAN MAKING GOOD IMPRESSION
Rookie forward Mitch Vanderlaan had three points in the two victories in Florida before Thanksgiving, scoring a goal and two assists. He also finished with a +3 rating in the series. Vanderlaan has gotten off to a hot start in his first professional season, posting eight points (4g, 4a) and a +13 rating in his first 10 appearances. His +/-
rating is the best among all ECHL rookie skaters.
DESALVO STAYS ON TOP OF TEAM SCORING RACE
Forward Dan DeSalvo is leading the Stingrays in scoring with 18 points (3g, 15a) in 16 games. The Rolling Meadows, Illinois native has points in 12 of the team's 16 contests this season and his 15 helpers are tied for 9th-most in the ECHL.
- The Stingrays return home for five games in December! Tickets for all of the team's upcoming 2019-20 home contests are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2019
- Langan Completes Solar Bears Comeback against Stingrays in 4-3 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Come up Short to Orlando in OT - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Weekly: Bring Your Teddy to the Game - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Admirals Acquire Former 1st-Round Pick Phillips from Worcester - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Rookie Plus Performer for November - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Roe Shares Honor as ECHL's AMI Graphics Plus Performer of Month - Florida Everblades
- Allen's Sadek, Florida's Roe Share AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - December 2, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wednesday's Game at Rapid City Postponed - Wichita Thunder
- Cam Maclise Loaned to AHL's Chicago Wolves - Florida Everblades
- Wednesday's Game vs Thunder Postponed - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Weekly, December 2 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 8 (November 25 - December 2, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: KC Makes Headway with Weekend Sweep in Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets Push Win Streak to Five Games - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Weekly Report: 4 Games in Canada this Week - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Completes Successful 4-1 Homestand - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Weekly: Calling All Teddy Bears - Maine Mariners
- Frechette Named Honig's/ECHL Official of the Month - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.