Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Completes Successful 4-1 Homestand
West Valley City, Utah - The Utah Grizzlies just concluded a successful 5 game homestand, where they had a record of 4-1 against Orlando and Florida, winning 2 of 3 last weekend against the Florida Everblades.
All 4 wins in the homestand came past regulation. On November 27th the Grizzlies won 5-4 in overtime as Joe Wegwerth scored 22 seconds in. Florida evened up the series on November 29th with a 6-3 win. The Grizz won the rubber match the following night as Brandon Saigeon scored the game tying goal with 2:34 left in regulation. Saigeon scored the game winner in a shootout as Utah won the game 5-4 to take 2 of 3 games in the series.
It was a great homestand for Felix Lauzon, who had 1 goal and 6 assists in the last 5 games. He scored a point in each game. Lauzon is in his first season as a professional after a real good 5 year stint in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Last year Lauzon was a plus 54 for the Drummondville Voltigeurs, where he scored 28 goals and 52 assists in 68 regular season games.
Joe Wegwerth came back in the lineup on November 22nd vs Orlando. He had 1 goal and 1 assist last Wednesday, including the game winning goal 22 seconds into overtime. On Saturday night Wegwerth also had a 1 goal and 1 assist game. So far on the season Wegwerth has 4 goals and 3 assists in 10 games. His college teammate at Notre Dame, Jack Jenkins also had a good series vs Florida. Jenkins got his first professional goal last Saturday on a shorthanded goal in the third period.
Next homestand for the Grizzlies is on December 11th, 13th and 14th against the defending champion Newfoundland Growlers. Tickets are available now at utahgrizzlies.com, the Maverik Center box office or by calling (801) 988-8000. You can also get tickets at any Smith's Tix location.
December 11th Newfoundland at Utah - Wild Wednesday and Bud Light College Night. Tickets start at $6 for students and drink specials.
December 13th Newfoundland at Utah - Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Ford. Friday the 13th = 13 dollar tickets. KSL Quarters for Christmas.
December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Star Wars Night (Specialty jersey's).
Grizzlies signed forward Jake Jackson on November 22nd. Jackson scored his first goal in a Grizzlies uniform on November 30th.
Forward Griffen Molino was sent to the AHL's Colorado Eagles on Thanksgiving. He played for the Eagles on November 29th and was sent back to the Grizzlies on November 30th, where he had 4 shots on goal in Utah's 5-4 shootout win.
Grizzlies Among League Leaders: Defenseman Taylor Richart's 3 power play goals is tied for the lead among blueliners. Taylor has 61 shots on goal, 4th most among defenseman. Patrick McGrath leads the league in penalty minutes with 70.
2019-2020 Regular Season Totals
Overall record: 8-8-2-1
Home record: 5-4-1.
Road record: 3-4-1-1.
Last 10 games: Utah is 5-5
Goals per game: 3.21 (15th in the league).
Goals against per game: 3.21 (12th).
Shots per game: 30.89 (13th).
Shots against per game: 28.47 (6th).
Power play: 20.4 % (9th).
Penalty Kill: 84.6 % (10th).
Scoring By Period
First Period: Utah 19 Opponents 19.
Second Period: Utah 24 Opponents 23.
Third Period: Utah 14 Opponents 16.
Total Scoring: Utah 61 Opponents 62.
Previous Week's Record: Utah went 2-1.
This Week's Games: Utah is at Rapid City on December 6th and 7th.
Last Week's Games
November 27th - Utah 5 Florida 4 (Overtime) - Joe Wegwerth game winning goal 22 seconds into OT. Felix Lauzon had 1 goal and 2 assists. Garrett Klotz and Wegwerth 1 goal 1 assist. Tim McGauley 2 assists. Grizz were 2 for 4 on the power play, penalty kill was 4 for 4. Mason McDonald 26 of 30 saves in his first win of the season.
November 29th - Utah 3 Florida 6 - Brandon Saigeon 2 goals. Yuri Terao 1 goal 1 assist. Both teams went 1 for 5 on the power play. Florida had a point from 11 different skaters.
November 30th - Utah 5 Florida 4 (Shootout) - Brandon Saigeon tied up the game with a power play goal with 2:34 left in the third period. Saigeon got the game winner in the shootout. Joe Wegwerth 1 goal 1 assist. Jake Jackson and Jack Jenkins each scored their first goals for Utah. Goaltender Mason McDonald stopped 27 of 31 and all 3 in the shootout for the win.
Goals: Josh Dickinson (9)
Assists: Tim McGauley (10)
Points: Travis Barron (13)
Plus/Minus: Tim McGauley (+8)
PIM: Patrick McGrath (70) - Leads league.
Power Play Points: Travis Barron (8)
Shots on Goal: Taylor Richart (55)
Wins: Jeff Smith (3)
Save %: Hunter Miska (.947)
Goals Against Average: Miska (1.62)
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies huddle up after a win
Utah Grizzlies defenseman Taylor Richart enters the ice
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2019
- Langan Completes Solar Bears Comeback against Stingrays in 4-3 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Come up Short to Orlando in OT - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Weekly: Bring Your Teddy to the Game - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Admirals Acquire Former 1st-Round Pick Phillips from Worcester - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Rookie Plus Performer for November - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Roe Shares Honor as ECHL's AMI Graphics Plus Performer of Month - Florida Everblades
- Allen's Sadek, Florida's Roe Share AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - December 2, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wednesday's Game at Rapid City Postponed - Wichita Thunder
- Cam Maclise Loaned to AHL's Chicago Wolves - Florida Everblades
- Wednesday's Game vs Thunder Postponed - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Weekly, December 2 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 8 (November 25 - December 2, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: KC Makes Headway with Weekend Sweep in Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets Push Win Streak to Five Games - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Weekly Report: 4 Games in Canada this Week - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Completes Successful 4-1 Homestand - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Weekly: Calling All Teddy Bears - Maine Mariners
- Frechette Named Honig's/ECHL Official of the Month - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.