Walleye Weekly: Bring Your Teddy to the Game
Overall Record: 11-6-1-0, 3rd Central Division
Current Streak: 2 Wins
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Friday, November 29 at Reading (4-2 Loss)
Saturday, November 30 at Reading (7-4 Win)
Sunday, December 8 at Wheeling (5-4 Win)
THIS WEEK'S GAMES (All Times Eastern)
Wednesday, December 4 vs. Adirondack at 10:35 a.m. (10:30 a.m., Fox Sports Radio 1230, BCSN)
Friday, December 6 vs. Brampton at 7:15 p.m. (7:00 p.m., Fox Sports Radio 1230, BCSN)
Saturday, December 7 vs. Cincinnati at 7:05 p.m. (7:00 p.m., Fox Sports Radio 1230, BCSN)
Sunday, December 8 at Wheeling at 4:05 p.m. (3:50 p.m., Fox Sports Radio 1230 | Fleetwood's Tap Room)
WALLEYE WEEKLY SCHEDULE
Monday, December 2 - No Practice
Tuesday, December 3 - Practice 10:30 a.m. at Huntington Center
Wednesday, December 4 - Game vs. Adirondack at 10:35 a.m.
Thursday, December 5 - Practice 10:30 a.m. at Tam-O-Shanter
Friday, December 6 - Game vs. Brampton at 7:15 p.m.
Saturday, December 7 - Game vs. Cincinnati at 7:15 p.m.
Sunday, December 8 - Game at Wheeling at 4:05 p.m.
**PLEASE NOTE: All times are subject to change. For the latest on the team visit www.toledowalleye.com.
As the offense went so did the Walleye in a pair of road victories: The Reading Royals held the Walleye offense at bay on Friday night as Toledo suffered a 4-2 loss. A five goal second period ended that Saturday night as the Walleye rolled to a 7-4 road win over the Royals. The three game road weekend ended with another massive second period as the Walleye left Wheeling with a 5-4 victory over the Nailers.
Second periods are so good for Toledo: In the two wins this weekend, Toledo outscored Reading and Wheeling 9-2 combined. The middle frame has been Toledo's most dominate over the course of the season with the Walleye owning a scoring advantage of 32-20. In the first and third periods combined, Toledo has outscored opponents by just two goals (39-37).
Vela goes for a three spot: Forward Marcus Vela scored twice on the power play and once even strength Saturday to pick not only his first professional multiple goal showing but the first hat trick in his young career. The 22-year-old is the first Walleye player this season to score three or more goals in a game.
Players of November: First year forward Abbott Girduckis led the Walleye in scoring for November with 14 points (7G, 7A) in 12 games, while forward Josh Kestner went over a point per game with 13 (6G, 7A) over the 12 contests. Marcus Vela scored seven goals in just 8 games over the month and also added in three assists. Goaltender Pat Nagle picked up five wins in the month going 5-3-1 with a 2.77 goals against average and a .911 save percentage.
Changes to the roster: Detroit reassigned goaltender Filip Larsson from Grand Rapids to Toledo on Monday while the Griffins assigned forward Troy Loggins to Toledo and recalled forward Tyler Spezia.
Back home for the Walleye: After playing 13 of the first 18 games of this year on the road, the Toledo Walleye are back home for three straight to start this week. Wednesday features a school celebration game and the only meeting of the year for the Walleye and the Adirondack Thunder. Friday night, the Brampton Beast enter Toledo for the fourth meeting of the season between the two. Toledo has won two of the first three. Saturday is the first of 10 matchups in the battle of I-75 as Cincinnati comes to town. The week ends with a trip into Wheeling for the second straight Sunday. Toledo is 2-0-0 against their rivals from West Virginia.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Tyler Spezia (3 goals - 3 assists = 6 points)
GOALTENDER OF THE WEEK
Billy Christopoulos (2-0-0, 4.00 GAA, .895 save %)
Thursday, December 5 | Tree decorating - 2-3 p.m.
Two Toledo Walleye players will be spreading some holiday cheer at Sunset Village, 9640 Sylvania-Metamora Rd. in Sylvania. They will help decorate a holiday tree at the senior living complex and take part in a hot chocolate social mixer.
Saturday, December 7 | Teddy Bear Toss - Walleye game
Fans attending the Walleye game this Saturday are encouraged to bring a new stuffed animal with them to the Huntington Center, and toss them onto to the ice when the Walleye score their first goal. Volunteers from Pilkington, Huntington Bank, Sheet Metal Workers Local 33, the Salvation Army of NW Ohio, Lucas County Children Services and Family House will be on the ice to help collect the stuffed animals. Donations will be given to: Lucas and Wood County Children Services, Toledo Police and Fire, the Salvation Army of NW Ohio and Family House.
FRIDAY NIGHT GIVEAWAY
Friday, December 6 | Walleye Nutcracker
The first 1,500 fans through the door will receive this one-of-a-kind Walleye Nutcracker sponsored by Sofo Foods and 101.5 The River
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2019
- Langan Completes Solar Bears Comeback against Stingrays in 4-3 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Come up Short to Orlando in OT - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Weekly: Bring Your Teddy to the Game - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Admirals Acquire Former 1st-Round Pick Phillips from Worcester - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Rookie Plus Performer for November - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Roe Shares Honor as ECHL's AMI Graphics Plus Performer of Month - Florida Everblades
- Allen's Sadek, Florida's Roe Share AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - December 2, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wednesday's Game at Rapid City Postponed - Wichita Thunder
- Cam Maclise Loaned to AHL's Chicago Wolves - Florida Everblades
- Wednesday's Game vs Thunder Postponed - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Weekly, December 2 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 8 (November 25 - December 2, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: KC Makes Headway with Weekend Sweep in Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets Push Win Streak to Five Games - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Weekly Report: 4 Games in Canada this Week - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Completes Successful 4-1 Homestand - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Weekly: Calling All Teddy Bears - Maine Mariners
- Frechette Named Honig's/ECHL Official of the Month - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.