Mavs Drop Two of Three in Rapid City
RAPID CITY, SD - The Mavericks began a three game road trip to Rapid City on Wednesday night to face-off with the Rush. The two Mountain Division foes would conclude the series with a weekend set on Friday and Saturday night.
On Wednesday night, the Mavericks came out firing with chances coming left and right. Rapid City goaltender David Tendeck was equal to the task, shutting down the Mavericks in the first period. Kansas City goaltender Daniil Chechelev recorded a perfect period as well, and the first period would finish scoreless.
In the second period, the Rush would score the lone goal of the 20 minutes taking a 1-0 lead to the third. It was in the third period where the Mavericks hit their stride. Bryan Lemos put the Mavericks on the board 4:43 into the period and then, Jesse Mychan would score the game winning goal at 9:50. Kansas City would outshoot the Rush 42-25 and go on to win 2-1.
Friday night would be a different story. The Rush jumped out to a 2-0 lead after one period and by the 18:51 mark of the second, they had extended their lead to 4-0. The Mavericks would get one back late in the second on a goal by Tommy Muck at 19:32.
In the third period, the teams each traded two power play goals, but the Rush added an equal strength goal at 13:58 to defeat the Mavericks by a final of 7-3 on Friday night. View the full box-score here.
The Mavericks would look to bounce back on Saturday night to close out the trip, but would fall behind quickly yet again. The Rush scored the first three goals of the game, including one just 1:16 in being the teddy bear toss goal. After the bears were all picked up off the ice, the Rush struck again on back to back power plays at 5:41 and 12:46 to make it 3-0 Rapid City. Kansas City would respond with a goal at the 18:10 mark by Ben Johnson.
The Rush would score two more power play goals in the second, making the deficit 5-1 for the Mavericks. Tommy Muck would score his second of the series in the third period short-handed. However, the Rush would shut down all Maverick attempts after that and go on to win by a final of 5-2.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 15, 2021
- Late Goal Lifts Mavericks over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Two Wins in a Row for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Blades Conquer Gladiators 3-1 - Florida Everblades
- Hats off for Houde in 7-2 Victory - Wheeling Nailers
- Glads Lose Late in Estero - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mariners Fall in Trois-Rivieres to Open Week in Quebec - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Bout with Icemen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Goaltender Colton Point Assigned to Steelheads by Dallas - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 15 - ECHL
- Tommy Apap Signs PTO with Milwaukee - Indy Fuel
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen, December 15, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Walleye Announce Red Wings Alumni for Winterfest Alumni Game - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Gameday: Snowy Series Opener at the Mav - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Postponement of Railers Games Through December 19 - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Sign Defenseman Bryce Martin - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Games this Weekend Postponed Due to League Health and Safety Protocols - Reading Royals
- Mavs Drop Two of Three in Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Welcome Home, Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Thunder Opens Four-Game Series Today in Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Glads Trek Down to Swamp to Take on Blades - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades to Meet Gladiators in First of Three - Florida Everblades
- Worcester Railers HC Announce Radio Partnership with the K-Zone WPKZ for Remainder of 2021-22 Season - Worcester Railers HC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.