Late Rally Falls Shortas Jacksonville Edges Admirals
NORFOLK, VA - Kelly Klima scored with a less than two minutes to go, but it wasn't enough as Jacksonville Icemen edged the Norfolk Admirals 3-2 Wednesday Night at Scope. Merrick Madsen made 34 saves in the setback.
Jacksonville got on the board first with a tally from Kris Newbury. An Admirals player failed to clear the puck out of their own zone, which led to a turnover. Cody Fowlie found the puck in the left circle. Fowlie fed a cross-ice pass to the feet of Kris Newbury just inside the right circle. Newbury redirected the pass past Merrick Madsen who was sprawled on his back to give Jacksonville a 1-0 lead.
Norfolk tied the game on a goal from Jalen Smereck. Matt McMorrow won the faceoff in the Jacksonville end. McMorrow won the faceoff which was tipped back to the point by Luke Nogard. Smereck shot the puck from the left point and it beat a screened Tanner Jaillet to tie the game at one goal apiece.
Neither team found the back of the net in the second period. Jacksonville outshot Norfolk 12-11 in the second frame.
Jacksonville went back in front with a goal from Cameron Critchlow. Dajon Mingo was able to move the puck along the left wall as an Admirals penalty expired. Mingo skated in front of the net and shot the puck. The initial shot was saved by Madsen. The rebound fell to the feet of Critchlow where he was able to put it over a sprawled Madsen to give Jacksonville a 2-1 lead at 6:30 of the third period.
Jacksonville would add another goal with less than four minutes to go in the third period. Dajon Mingo got the puck in the left corner. Mingo fired a pass to Tyson Fawcett who shot the puck from between the circles. The puck hit off an Admirals defender and trickled past Madsen to extend the Icemen lead to 3-1.
With the net empty, and an extra attacker on the ice, Norfolk answered with a little under two minutes to go in the third period. Jalen Smereck shot the puck from the point after he received a pass from Chris Crane in the slot. The rebound jumped into the air was knocked in by Kelly Klima to cut the Jacksonville lead to 3-2.
Despite the goal, the Admirals were unable to get any closer and fall by the final score of 3-2.
Merrick Madsen was solid making 34 saves on 37 shots and takes the loss for Norfolk, while Tanner Jaillet made 21 saves on 23 shots and gets the win for Jacksonville.
The two teams meet again this Friday and Saturday. Game time set for 7:00 p.m. Promotional details listed below.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Friday, January 18, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 19, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m. Pink in the Rink presented by Cavalier Auto Group, takes place on Saturday, January 19 against Jacksonville. The game will be played on pink ice and the team will wear pink jerseys that will be auctioned off to benefit the American Cancer Society. Wear your pink to help us raise awareness for breast cancer prevention and research. There will free be post game "Frozen Yoga" on the ice after the game courtesy of Sky's the Limit Yoga. There will be a pregame fan fast that begins at 5:00 p.m. in the Scope Exhibition Hall featuring bounces houses, interactive games and more!. The first 1,000 fans through the gates will receive a FREE Admirals / Supergirl Jersey presented by The CW, WGNT-27.
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 16, 2019
- K-Wings Top Komets 10-8 in High Scoring Affair - Kalamazoo Wings
- Late Rally Falls Shortas Jacksonville Edges Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Edwardh's Hat Trick Leads Thunder to 5-3 Win over Nailers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Win Sixth Straight Games, Beat Mariners 2-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Early Thunder Strikes Lead to Tough Forecast for Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Get Team-Leading 17th from MacDonald in 3-1 Loss to Manchester - Reading Royals
- Mariners Outshoot Growlers, But Can't Find a Goal - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Rock Royals, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wells Returns; Skinner Recalled to Bako - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Open Homestand Tonight vs Tulsa - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - January 16 - ECHL
- Avery Peterson Dealt to Atlanta for Future Considerations - Indy Fuel
- Ryan Lough Announces Retirement - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Open 3-Game Series in Boise Tonight - Allen Americans
- Americans Open 3-Game Series in Boise - Allen Americans
- Gladiators Acquire Forward Avery Peterson from Indy - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wallin Gets Third Stint in Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, January 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Announce Front Office Promotion - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Day: Wings Open Second Half in Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Second Half Opens vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Sweep Stingrays in Two Game Series - Jacksonville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.