Lambson Voted League's Best Pitcher
WINNIPEG, MB - Winnipeg Goldeyes' left-handed pitcher Mitchell Lambson has been voted the American Association's 2019 Pitcher of the Year.
The award was voted on by the league's field managers, general managers, and media representatives.
Lambson assembled one of the best seasons in both Goldeyes' and American Association history. The Montclair, California native was 13-3 with a 3.03 ERA in 21 starts. Heading into the final day of the regular season, Lambson leads the American Association in wins, ranks fifth in ERA, second in strikeouts (133), first in innings pitched (150.2), and first in complete games (four). The 150.2 innings set a new Goldeyes' single-season record. Lambson also ranks tied for second in wins and third in strikeouts.
The 29-year-old left-hander held the opposition to two or fewer earned runs in 13 of his 21 starts, and walked two batters or less in 15 of them. Lambson worked at least six innings 19 times, including 15 outings of seven innings or more. On six different occasions, Lambson struck out nine-plus batters.
Lambson pitched back-to-back complete games on June 13th at Gary SouthShore and June 20th versus Chicago. Lambson nearly threw a third consecutive complete game on June 26th at Sioux City, working into the ninth and setting a career-high with 11 strikeouts.
In eight combined starts against Chicago, Fargo-Moorhead, and St. Paul - the three clubs ahead of the Goldeyes in the North Division standings - Lambson was 5-1 with a 2.67 ERA.
Lambson is in his ninth season of professional baseball, and is 56-31 lifetime (.644) with 10 saves and a 3.37 ERA in 275 appearances, 50 of them as a starting pitcher. Lambson was originally drafted by the Houston Astros in the 19th round in 2011, and has reached the Triple-A level with three different Major League organizations (Houston, Atlanta, and Milwaukee).
Lambson is in his third overall year with the Goldeyes, and was a member of Winnipeg's 2017 American Association championship team.
The Winnipeg Goldeyes close out the 2019 season this afternoon against the Sioux Falls Canaries. First pitch from Shaw Park is at 1:05 p.m.
For information on 2020 season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group tickets, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 2, 2019
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks to Start 2019 Aa Playoffs at Home against St. Paul Saints - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RedHawks Wrap up Regular Season and Now It's on to the Playoffs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Swing into the Playoffs - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Roaders Win, Fall Short of Playoffs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41 - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Finish Season with Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints North Champs, Finish with Top Record in League, Win Finale 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Milkmen Finish off the Season with a Win - Milwaukee Milkmen
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Season Ends with Loss to RailCats - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Closer Tanner Kiest Earns Final American Association Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week Honors - St. Paul Saints
- Broussard Named AA Relief Pitcher of the Year; Colwell Named Postseason All-Star - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Samson Named to 2019 Post Season All Star Team - Sioux City Explorers
- Canaries' Lago Named Postseason All-Star - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester, Simpson Named Postseason All-Stars - Cleburne Railroaders
- Shoemaker and Motl Named to American Association Post-Season All-Star Team - St. Paul Saints
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars - Chicago Dogs
- Lambson Voted League's Best Pitcher - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Another Dramatic Game Ends in a Division Title - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Unable to Take Advantage, Forcing Must Win Season Finale - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.