Explorers Swing into the Playoffs
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - After a dramatic finish in game three where the T-Bones (58-42) clinched the Southern Division Championship, the Sioux City Explorers (57-43) came to JustBats Field at T-Bones Stadium ready to fight for the wild-card spot in the playoffs, and they opened the game immediately with a double by Kyle Wren off Jon Perrin, followed by a single by Drew Stankiewicz and another by Nate Samson, scoring Wren and starting off the game with an early 1-0 lead for the X's.
In the second inning, the X's kept the offense coming, with a Dylan Kelly hit that advanced him to first. Then a walk for Adam Sasser and a wild pitch from Perrin that scored Kelly made it a quick 2-0, Sioux City.
The X's continued their drive in the third inning with back-to-back home runs off Perrin by Jeremy Hazelbaker and Dexture McCall, extending the Sioux City lead to 4-0.
The T-Bones offense came back in the bottom of the third with a single by Dylan Tice, followed by another single by Danny Mars, but the X's defense kept them from capitalizing.
In the top of the fourth, Perrin walked Stankiewicz; then Jose Sermo advanced to first on a hit-by-a-pitch and another walk for Jeremy Hazelbaker took Perrin out of the game for the T-Bones. Robert Calvano came in for Perrin, and Dexture McCall got a single, Dylan Kelly walked, scoring Sermo. Sebastian Zawada followed with another single, scoring McCall, which ended with a commanding 7-0 lead for the X's.
Casey Gillaspie started off the fourth with a double, and Omar Carrizales followed with a two-run home run off Pete Tago, giving life to the T-Bones, 7-2.
In the top of the eighth, Andrew DiPiazza came in for Evan Korson after a walk for Hazelbaker, but DiPiazza left the game quickly with an apparent injury issue, so Ramsey Romano came on to the mound for the T-Bones. He walked Dexture McCall, and with a base hit for Sebastian Zawada, Sioux City extended the lead 8-2. Then a sac fly by Adam Sasser ended the scoring in the inning with a lead for Sioux City 9-2.
Despite a Nava single and a double for Correa that brought in Nava, making the score 9-3, the X's maintained the lead.
In the bottom of the ninth, Ramsey Romano got on board with a single, then a two-run home run by Austin Biggar- his first long ball as a professional- inched the T-Bones closer, 9-5, but that was all the offense the T-Bones could muster, as both teams will now head to the playoffs starting later this week.
The winning pitcher was Pete Tago (6-3), who pitched a complete game for the Explorers, and the losing pitcher was Jon Perrin (7-2) for the T-Bones. The next stop for the T-Bones is the playoff series that opens in Sioux City at Lewis and Clark Park on Wednesday, September 4th at 7:12 p.m. Catch all the action live on the T-Bones Broadcast Network.
Tickets to all T-Bones home playoff games are just $8.00 and are on sale now online or by calling (913) 328-5618 or by visiting the Saint Luke's Box Office between the hours of 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Group ticket sales are also on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 2, 2019
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks to Start 2019 Aa Playoffs at Home against St. Paul Saints - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RedHawks Wrap up Regular Season and Now It's on to the Playoffs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Swing into the Playoffs - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Roaders Win, Fall Short of Playoffs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41 - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Finish Season with Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints North Champs, Finish with Top Record in League, Win Finale 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Milkmen Finish off the Season with a Win - Milwaukee Milkmen
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Season Ends with Loss to RailCats - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Closer Tanner Kiest Earns Final American Association Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week Honors - St. Paul Saints
- Broussard Named AA Relief Pitcher of the Year; Colwell Named Postseason All-Star - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Samson Named to 2019 Post Season All Star Team - Sioux City Explorers
- Canaries' Lago Named Postseason All-Star - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester, Simpson Named Postseason All-Stars - Cleburne Railroaders
- Shoemaker and Motl Named to American Association Post-Season All-Star Team - St. Paul Saints
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars - Chicago Dogs
- Lambson Voted League's Best Pitcher - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Another Dramatic Game Ends in a Division Title - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Unable to Take Advantage, Forcing Must Win Season Finale - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.