Canaries' Lago Named Postseason All-Star
SIOUX FALLS, SD - Alay Lago has racked up another award in his breakout season with the Sioux Falls Canaries. Lago was named to the American Association's 2019 Postseason All-Star Team, the league announced Monday.
A vote from league managers, general managers and media named Lago the best second baseman in the Association in 2019.
Lago is finishing up an outstanding season with the Birds. The native of Cuba currently leads the league with a .338 batting average, and leads the Canaries with a .386 on-base percentage and a .530 slugging percentage.
Lago has picked up plenty of league accolades this season. He was named the league's Rawlings Player of the Month for the month of June. Lago led the American Association with a .465 batting average and 1.172 OPS in 25 games that month.
Those numbers earned Lago a spot in the American Association All-Star Game in July, where he delivered an RBI double for the South Division team.
This latest honor is even more prestigious. Unlike the midseason all-star game, which has a team for each division, the league names just one postseason all-star team.
Lago signed with the Canaries last offseason after spending the tail end of 2018 with the Kansas City T-Bones. He hit .283/.323/.393 with 10 doubles and two home runs in 37 games with Kansas City, helping the T-Bones to an American Association championship.
Lago played four seasons of baseball in Cuba before taking the field in the Triple-A Mexican League in 2017. The 27-year-old spent parts of two seasons in the Atlanta Braves organization, making it as high as Double-A Mississippi in 2018.
The Sioux Falls Canaries finish their season Monday afternoon at 1 p.m. with a road game against the Winnipeg Goldeyes. For more information on 2020 season tickets, suites, group outings, and corporate opportunities, call the Canaries Front Office at (605) 336-6060, or visit the Canaries official website at www.sfcanaries.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 2, 2019
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks to Start 2019 Aa Playoffs at Home against St. Paul Saints - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RedHawks Wrap up Regular Season and Now It's on to the Playoffs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Swing into the Playoffs - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Roaders Win, Fall Short of Playoffs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41 - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Finish Season with Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints North Champs, Finish with Top Record in League, Win Finale 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Milkmen Finish off the Season with a Win - Milwaukee Milkmen
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Season Ends with Loss to RailCats - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Closer Tanner Kiest Earns Final American Association Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week Honors - St. Paul Saints
- Broussard Named AA Relief Pitcher of the Year; Colwell Named Postseason All-Star - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Samson Named to 2019 Post Season All Star Team - Sioux City Explorers
- Canaries' Lago Named Postseason All-Star - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester, Simpson Named Postseason All-Stars - Cleburne Railroaders
- Shoemaker and Motl Named to American Association Post-Season All-Star Team - St. Paul Saints
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars - Chicago Dogs
- Lambson Voted League's Best Pitcher - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Another Dramatic Game Ends in a Division Title - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Unable to Take Advantage, Forcing Must Win Season Finale - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.