RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
GARY, IND. - Six scoreless innings from Justin Sinibaldi, a three-run lead after three innings and three scoreless innings from the bullpen led the Gary SouthShore RailCats (40-59) to a 3-0 win and a series sweep over the Lincoln Saltdogs in the final game of the year on Labor Day at U.S. Steel Yard. Monday's game was played in front of 3,697 and lasted just two hours, seven minutes, matching the RailCats shortest 9-inning game of the season. Gary concludes the season with its first home sweep and a season-high four straight home straight victories.
Gary took the opening lead for the third straight game with two runs in the second. Alex Crosby and Ray Jones singled consecutively with one out to give the "Cats runners on first and second before Danny De La Calle rocketed an RBI single to center, bringing Crosby around to score from second. With runners on the corners, Tommy McCarthy picked up his first professional RBI with a sacrifice fly to left, scoring Jones from third for the final run of the inning.
The RailCats increased their lead to 3-0 with another run in the third. Marcus Mooney doubled down the left field line to begin the frame before Andy De Jesus moved him up to third with a single to right, however, a throwing error from Saltdogs right fielder Nick Schulz to the cutoff man, allowed Mooney to score on the play.
Sinibaldi (6-7) yielded three singles and two walks in his ninth quality start. The right-hander retired 11 of the first 13 hitters he faced, struck out three, never allowed a Saltdogs baserunner to reach past second base and lowered his league-leading ERA to 2.74.
Andrew Cartier (3) and Jack Alkire (4) each recorded holds with a scoreless inning each while Ryan Thurston (4) picked up the save with a hitless top of the ninth. Ricky Knapp (4-10) was charged with the loss after allowing three runs on seven hits over six innings.
Ticket packages for the 2020 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 2, 2019
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks to Start 2019 Aa Playoffs at Home against St. Paul Saints - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RedHawks Wrap up Regular Season and Now It's on to the Playoffs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Swing into the Playoffs - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Roaders Win, Fall Short of Playoffs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41 - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Finish Season with Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints North Champs, Finish with Top Record in League, Win Finale 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Milkmen Finish off the Season with a Win - Milwaukee Milkmen
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Season Ends with Loss to RailCats - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Closer Tanner Kiest Earns Final American Association Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week Honors - St. Paul Saints
- Broussard Named AA Relief Pitcher of the Year; Colwell Named Postseason All-Star - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Samson Named to 2019 Post Season All Star Team - Sioux City Explorers
- Canaries' Lago Named Postseason All-Star - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester, Simpson Named Postseason All-Stars - Cleburne Railroaders
- Shoemaker and Motl Named to American Association Post-Season All-Star Team - St. Paul Saints
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars - Chicago Dogs
- Lambson Voted League's Best Pitcher - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Another Dramatic Game Ends in a Division Title - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Unable to Take Advantage, Forcing Must Win Season Finale - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- American Association Designated as Partner League of MLB
- RailCats Announce the Greens at the Steel Yard Event
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, Schaumburg Boomers to Add Black Lives Matters Patches to Team Jerseys
- RailCats Announce New Special Events and Facility Rental Opportunities
- RailCats 2020 Season Suspended Due to COVID-19 Pandemic