Another Dramatic Game Ends in a Division Title
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - The Kansas City T-Bones (58-41) won game three of the four-game series with the Sioux City Explorers (56-43), and to say the least, it was a game to remember as they walk off winners after 13 innings, 6-5, in front of over 4,593 excited fans, clinching the American Association Southern Division Championship.
The T-Bones attempted to score first as Casey Gillaspie hit a single off of X's starting pitcher Taylor Jordan. Then, Omar Carrizales hit a single that advanced Gillaspie to third. With one out away to end the inning Ramsey Romano came up to bat, but was unable to score, leaving the inning scoreless.
Sioux City grabbed the lead in the top of the third, leaving the T-Bones in the dust when Justin Felix hit a home run, making the score 1-0.
In the top of the fourth, Sebastian Zawada hit a single for the Explorers that advanced Jeremy Hazelbaker to second and sent Nate Samson home. Then, Dylan Kelly hit a single that advanced Zawada to second and scored Hazelbaker, making the score 3-0.
The Explorers continued to dominate offensively in the fifth. Starting off was Kyle Wren who hit a single. Then, Drew Stankiewicz hit a double that advanced Wren to second. Shortly after, Samson hit a double that scored both Wren and Stankiewicz, extending the lead for the Explorers, 5-0.
The T-Bones made it on the board in the bottom of the fifth as Stewart Ijames hit a single, and then later Daniel Nava hit a single that advanced Ijames to third. Gillaspie then hit a single that advanced Nava to second and scored Ijames, making it 5-1.
Kansas City brought the game back to life when Ijames hit his first home field home run for the T-Bones in the bottom of the seventh, chipping their way back, 5-2.
Later, the heat got turned up to sizzle for the T-Bones when Christian Correa hit a single and then advanced to second on a fielders choice by Danny Mars. Then, Romano hit a double that scored Correa, making it 5-3 in the bottom of the eighth.
And finally, in dramatic fashion, Casey Gillaspie came to bat with two outs, crushing a two-run home run that scored Ijames and tied the game 5-5 for the T-Bones in the bottom of the ninth.
Then after three innings of scoreless extra innings, Stewart Ijames advanced to first on an infield single, followed by Nava who advanced on a hit-by-a-pitch. Then again, Casey Gillaspie was the hero as he hit a game winning RBI single that scored Ijames, and the T-Bones walked it off Division Champions, 6-5.
The winning pitcher was Evan Korson (3-1) for the Kansas City T-Bones, and the losing pitcher was Ryan Flores (3-3) for the Sioux City Explorers.
The Kansas City T-Bones return to play game four of the series tomorrow at 1:05 p.m. at JustBats Field at T-Bones Stadium. Catch all the action live on the T-Bones Broadcast Network.
Tickets to all T-Bones home games are on sale now online or by calling (913) 328-5618 or by visiting the Saint Luke's Box Office between the hours of 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Group ticket sales are also on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 2, 2019
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks to Start 2019 Aa Playoffs at Home against St. Paul Saints - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RedHawks Wrap up Regular Season and Now It's on to the Playoffs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Swing into the Playoffs - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Roaders Win, Fall Short of Playoffs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41 - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Finish Season with Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints North Champs, Finish with Top Record in League, Win Finale 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Milkmen Finish off the Season with a Win - Milwaukee Milkmen
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Season Ends with Loss to RailCats - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Closer Tanner Kiest Earns Final American Association Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week Honors - St. Paul Saints
- Broussard Named AA Relief Pitcher of the Year; Colwell Named Postseason All-Star - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Samson Named to 2019 Post Season All Star Team - Sioux City Explorers
- Canaries' Lago Named Postseason All-Star - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester, Simpson Named Postseason All-Stars - Cleburne Railroaders
- Shoemaker and Motl Named to American Association Post-Season All-Star Team - St. Paul Saints
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars - Chicago Dogs
- Lambson Voted League's Best Pitcher - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Another Dramatic Game Ends in a Division Title - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Unable to Take Advantage, Forcing Must Win Season Finale - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.