K-Wings Knotch Trio in 2nd, Walleye Surge Back at Home
TOLEDO, OH - The Kalamazoo Wings (29-37-5-0), proud ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League's Columbus Blue Jackets, jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second against Toledo (45-19-4-3), but the Walleye answered with four-straight to win 4-3 on Saturday at Huntington Center.
The K-Wings scored all of their goals in a span of 4:54, with Ben Copeland (6) opening the scoring at the 3:51 mark. On the play, Connor Fedorek (3) sent the puck to Brendan Bushy (1) at the right point, and he found Copeland left circle to open the scoring in the contest.
Then, at the 5:59 mark, Coale Norris (13) scored, deflecting an Ayden MacDonald (16) shot from the goal line as MacDonald surged down the right side. MacDonald forced a turnover as Toledo attempted to send a long pass into the neutral zone, skated with the puck in, and flung it towards the net where Norris redirected it in. With the goal, Norris extends his goal-scoring streak to three games, the longest of his professional career.
David Keefer (4) then made it 3-0 with a goal at the 8:45 mark. On the play, Collin Saccoman (17) brought the puck into the offensive zone and connected with Keefer, who rifled it in from the right faceoff dot. MacDonald (17) earned the secondary assist, which allowed him to collect multiple points in three consecutive games, and Keefer extended his current point streak to seven games (4g, 5a) with the score.
But Toledo found the back of the net on the power play at the 16:13 mark and scored again just 1:24 later to make it 3-2.
Toledo found the equalizer on the first shift of the third period, scoring at the 32-second mark. Toledo then netted the game-winning goal with 6:28 remaining in the third.
Drew DeRidder (0-1-0-0) made his professional debut in net for Kalamazoo and was strong throughout the contest, stopping 33 of 37 shots in the contest.
The K-Wings immediately head home for the season finale Sunday against the Indy Fuel (42-24-5-0) at 3:00 p.m. EDT at Wings Event Center.
For the first time in several years, the K-Wings' red jerseys will be available for auction after the game, and stick around postgame for the K-Wings' annual end-of-the-season awards as well. --
It's not too early to secure 2023-24 K-Wings season tickets. Enjoy exclusive benefits, including guaranteed seat location to all 36 home games, complimentary parking, early access to the arena and more. Click HERE to join the ranks of the K-Wings High Flyers today.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 15, 2023
- Cyclones Finish Historic 2022-23 Regular Season - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wichita Drops Regular Season Finale in a Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Fall to Grizzlies in Final Game of 2022-23 - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Knotch Trio in 2nd, Walleye Surge Back at Home - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nearly 4000 Fans Watch Nardella Hat Trick, Landers 4-2 Win - Iowa Heartlanders
- Railers Down to Must-Win Game on Sunday - Worcester Railers HC
- Toledo Escapes Three-Goal Deficit to Win on Goaldiggers Tribute Night - Toledo Walleye
- Heartlanders Take Season Finale, 4-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Sylvester Scores 38th of Season; Gladiators Lose Final Game - Atlanta Gladiators
- Biggest Crowd of Season Lifts Everblades to Win - Florida Everblades
- Playoff Spot on the Line Sunday After 5-1 Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Downed 6-2 by Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Stingrays Clinch the South Division Behind Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Announce Kelly Cup Playoff Schedule for First Round - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Can't Solve DiPietro More Than Twice, Drop Contest to Maine - Norfolk Admirals
- Seven Different Goal Scorers Lift Mariners over Admirals - Maine Mariners
- Weiland Parrish Activated off Injured Reserve - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - April 15 - ECHL
- Thunder Finishes Regular Season Tonight in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Adam Carlson Named 2023 Blaine Jarvis Heart and Soul Award Winner - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Tonight's Game against Wichita Is Sold Out - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Have Chance to Secure Home-Ice Advantage in Regular Season Finale Tonight - Kansas City Mavericks
- Grizzlies Gameday: Playoff Spot on the Line at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Round out Regular Season, Honor Fans on Fandemonium Night - Reading Royals
- Gorsuch Spectacular in Win vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Grizz Defeat the Oilers 5-3 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- K-Wings Welcome Back Franchise Leader, Justin Taylor
- K-Wings Re-Sign Rookie Forwards Pilon & Spellacy
- K-Wings Re-Sign Forward James McEwan, Add Rookie Defenseman Stephen Alvo
- K-Wings Sign Two Rookies, Forward Jordan Seyfert & Goaltender Hayden Stewart
- K-Wings Ink Forward Brandon Yeamans & Goaltender Mariah Fujimagari