K-Wings Drop Hard-Fought Opener in Fort Wayne
FORT WAYNE, IN - The Kalamazoo Wings (0-1-0-0) generated 43 shots in its season opener Saturday but fell 5-2 to the Fort Wayne Komets (1-0-0-0) at Allen County War Memorial Coliseum.
Both K-Wings goals came in the final minute of the first two periods, as veteran forward Justin Taylor scored the team's goal of the season on a net-mouth scramble in the final 20 seconds of the opening frame. Rookie Adam Dauda added a goal with 40 seconds left in the middle period, the first goal of his pro career.
The Komets jumped out in front with a goal from Brycen Martin 18 seconds into the game, and added to their lead at the midway point of the frame, when Alan Lyszczarczyk jammed home a rebound on the power play to make it 2-0. Fort Wayne's power ended up scoring two goals on four opportunities, and killed off all six K-Wings power plays on the night.
With a 2-1 lead after one, Matthew Boudens scored a pair of goals in the second period to push the Komets' lead to 4-1. The first capped off a tic-tac-toe passing play with a tap-in from between the circles on a man-advantage. The second was credited to Boudens as a short-handed goal when a Kalamazoo player accidently tucked the puck in his own net on a breakout.
Dauda's goal cut the K-Wings deficit to two after 40 minutes, but goaltender Cole Kehler proved to be the difference in the third. The Komets' goalie stopped 41 of 43 Kalamazoo shots, including 17 in the final period to earn the win.
K-Wings rookie goaltender Jake Kielly made 22 saves in his professional debut.
The K-Wings' 46th Home Opener is next Saturday, Oct. 19 against the Cincinnati Cyclones at 7:00 p.m. at Wings Event Center. Come early, as the team's annual Fan Fest will precede the game, starting at 4:30 p.m.
Fan Fest will include a player red carpet, a bounce house, live music, food trucks, and new this year, a Smash Car. Fans wanting to participate in smashing the Cyclones themed car can pay $5 for 6 swings or $20 for two minutes of unlimited swings, with the proceeds going to the Southwest Michigan Miracle League.
2019-20 K-Wings season tickets, partial plans and 5-packs are on sale now! Visit kwings.com/tickets for details.
Book your group for one of Kalamazoo's five biggest games and every member of the group will receive a K-Wings knit hat. Head to kwings.com/groups for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2019
- Grizzlies Fall 3-1 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Kosorenkov's Two Goals Not Enough in Loss for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Drop Hard-Fought Opener in Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Net Early Goals, Seal 3-1 Win over Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Slow Start Sinks Mavs in Home Opener, Lose 6-2 to Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Dominate Mavericks in 6-2 Win - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Score First, But Fall to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Resilient Effort Sends Swamp Rabbits Home with Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Pushes Thunder to Win over Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Come from Behind for Thrilling Opening Night Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Derailed by Worcester 5-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Stingrays Score First 4, Spoil Solar Bears' Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Rally in Third for Comeback Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Crush Thunder 5-1 in Front of 8,137 Fans at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Get First Win of the Season in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Force OT in Game 2 at Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Kromm's Late Winner Lifts Walleye in Season Opener - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Drop Close Opener against Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Gameday Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, October 12, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Announce Changes to 2019-20 Communications - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals at Growlers Again Following Wild Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Sign Former NHL Forward Casey Bailey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rush Earn Point in Season-Opening Overtime Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-2 Opening Game Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2 in Season Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Battle Back from Early Deficit; Fall in OT to Fuel - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.