Kromm's Late Winner Lifts Walleye in Season Opener
BRAMPTON, Ontario - The Toledo Walleye were unable to preserve a three-goal lead in their season opener on Saturday, but rallied to capture both points as Alex Kromm scored with 3:23 remaining in regulation to clinch a 4-3 victory over the Brampton Beast at the CAA Centre.
Tyler Spezia and Branden Troock each recorded a goal and assist as the Walleye (1-0-0-0) kicked off their 11th regular season on a winning note, while Josh Winquist dished out a pair of assists. Returning for his third season in the Toledo net, Pat Nagle blocked 30-of-33 shots to garner third-star accolades.
The Walleye needed just 21 seconds to score the opening goal of the campaign. Before Matt Melzak could call the action on Fox Sports 1230 WCWA, Shane Berschbach was credited with breaking the deadlock on Toledo's first shot.
Troock doubled Toledo's advantage 5:46 into the first frame. After the Walleye won a battle for the puck at the left half-boards, Winquist chipped a pass toward the high slot to Spezia, who set up Troock in the high slot for a wrister that trickled between Joey Daccord's catching glove and body. The same line that gave the visitors a 2-0 lead produced Toledo's third goal, as Troock and Winquist and combined to set up Spezia 3:32 into the second stanza.
Brampton (0-1-0-0) held a 15-5 advantage in shots during the middle period, and eventually made a breakthrough when Christopher Clapperton trimmed Toledo's lead to 3-1 with 53 seconds left in the frame. The Beast continued to carry the play into the third period, and eventually knotted the score with two goals in a 1:09 span. T.J. Melancon sliced the deficit in half at the 10:42 mark, before Jordan Henry restored parity shortly thereafter. Although the visitors were unable to capitalize on a bench minor with 6:36 left in regulation, Kromm found the net in his Walleye debut with 3:23 remaining to seal a 4-3 decision.
The Walleye finished 0-for-3 on the power play, while Brampton failed to score on a pair of opportunities. Daccord stopped 25-of-29 shots in a losing cause.
The Walleye return to action on Saturday, Oct. 19 for a road matchup against the Fort Wayne Komets. Puck drop from the Memorial Coliseum is scheduled for 7:35 p.m.
1. Toledo - Tyler Spezia (goal, assist)
2. Brampton - Christopher Clapperton (goal, assist)
3. Toledo - Pat Nagle (W, 30 saves)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2019
- Grizzlies Fall 3-1 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Kosorenkov's Two Goals Not Enough in Loss for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Drop Hard-Fought Opener in Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Net Early Goals, Seal 3-1 Win over Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Slow Start Sinks Mavs in Home Opener, Lose 6-2 to Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Dominate Mavericks in 6-2 Win - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Score First, But Fall to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Resilient Effort Sends Swamp Rabbits Home with Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Pushes Thunder to Win over Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Come from Behind for Thrilling Opening Night Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Derailed by Worcester 5-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Stingrays Score First 4, Spoil Solar Bears' Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Rally in Third for Comeback Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Crush Thunder 5-1 in Front of 8,137 Fans at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Get First Win of the Season in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Force OT in Game 2 at Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Kromm's Late Winner Lifts Walleye in Season Opener - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Drop Close Opener against Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Gameday Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, October 12, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Announce Changes to 2019-20 Communications - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals at Growlers Again Following Wild Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Sign Former NHL Forward Casey Bailey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rush Earn Point in Season-Opening Overtime Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-2 Opening Game Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2 in Season Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Battle Back from Early Deficit; Fall in OT to Fuel - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.