Royals Force OT in Game 2 at Newfoundland
St. John's, NL - The Reading Royals earned a point in their second game of the season, taking the Newfoundland Growlers to overtime in a 3-2 defeat Saturday at Mile One Centre. Matthew Gaudreau and Frank DiChiara scored the first two goals of the game for Reading. Mac Hollowell tallied the winner at 2:51 of overtime, assisted by Colt Conrad. Hollowell shot the puck in from the high slot over Kirill Ustimenko's glove hand. Ustimenko made 32 saves, including four in overtime, in his first North American professional game.
Patrick Munson (win) blocked 39 of 41 shots in his first-ever ECHL game for the Growlers.
The 2019-20 season is presented by Tower Health UPMC Health Plan. The Royals play the final game of the three-game trip in Newfoundland on Tues., Oct. 15 at 5:30 p.m. Reading's first home game on Oct. 19 vs. Maine features a massive block party, games, food, drinks and a special "Downtown Alive" concert on Penn Street before the home opener.
Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
Gaudreau earns first Royals goal
Reading opened the scoring at 15:46 of the first; from a sharp angle at the bottom of the left circle, Matthew Gaudreau sniped it short-side over the right shoulder of Patrick Munson, assisted by Pascal Laberge and Garrett Mitchell. Laberge passed it cross ice from the bottom of the right dot to Gaudreau. The 5-foot-9, left-handed shot Gaudreau is beginning his third professional season and has 25 career ECHL goals.
Making his Royals debut, Kirill Ustimenko blocked his first 20 shots faced and did not allow a goal for the first 39 minutes. Aaron Luchuk got him with 46.6 seconds remaining in the second, nicking it over Ustimenko's shoulder at the right post. Ustimenko was drafted in the third round of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft by Philadelphia. In overtime, he helped the Royals kill off an early 4-on-3 penalty kill with four saves. Garrett Mitchell made a couple of sliding blocks while stick-less, giving Reading a perfect 3-for-3 effort on the penalty kill. Reading was 0-for-2 on the man up.
Growlers bark late
Newfoundland's Matt Bradley scored his second goal of the weekend to tie the game at two, slamming home a right door step shot in the final eight minutes of the third. Aaron Luchuk (1g, 1a) put a whirl-around shot from the left dot off the pad and to Bradley at the right circle. Bradley leads the Growlers in goals this season. That strike forced overtime in a two-goal Newfoundland come-from-behind win. Friday, the Royals overcame a pair of deficits (3 goals, 1 goal) to earn two points.
Reading's new five-game mini-plan includes a meal for every game, a Reading Royals Hat, an exclusive fan experience, an autographed team picture and a guaranteed giveaway for each of the 5 games. Purchase your seat or seats today by calling 610-898-7825 or by visiting https://bit.ly/2LSHBp8.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2019
- Grizzlies Fall 3-1 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Kosorenkov's Two Goals Not Enough in Loss for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Drop Hard-Fought Opener in Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Net Early Goals, Seal 3-1 Win over Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Slow Start Sinks Mavs in Home Opener, Lose 6-2 to Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Dominate Mavericks in 6-2 Win - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Score First, But Fall to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Resilient Effort Sends Swamp Rabbits Home with Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Pushes Thunder to Win over Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Come from Behind for Thrilling Opening Night Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Derailed by Worcester 5-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Stingrays Score First 4, Spoil Solar Bears' Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Rally in Third for Comeback Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Crush Thunder 5-1 in Front of 8,137 Fans at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Get First Win of the Season in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Force OT in Game 2 at Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Kromm's Late Winner Lifts Walleye in Season Opener - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Drop Close Opener against Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Gameday Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, October 12, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Announce Changes to 2019-20 Communications - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals at Growlers Again Following Wild Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Sign Former NHL Forward Casey Bailey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rush Earn Point in Season-Opening Overtime Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-2 Opening Game Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2 in Season Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Battle Back from Early Deficit; Fall in OT to Fuel - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.