Beast Drop Close Opener against Walleye
BRAMPTON, ONTARIO - Nathan Todd had two assists and Jordan Henry scored his first of the season but the Beast would fall 4-3 in a close game against the Toledo Walleye.
The Brampton Beast opened their 2019-20 season on Saturday afternoon against the Toledo Walleye.
The Beast didn't get off to the start they envisioned, as Shane Berschbach was able to find twine for a 1-0 Walleye lead less than a minute in.
The Walleye would add to their lead in the first with a goal from Branden Trook at 5:46. Both goals would beat Joey Daccord low on the ice.
The Beast would head into the intermission down 2-0 after 20 minutes of play and trailing in shots by a count of 16-8.
Toledo got the scoring started again in the second with a marker from Tyler Spezia at 3:32.
With the Walleye up 3-0, it was finally Brampton's turn to strike. Chris Clapperton was able to rip the puck past Walleye netminder Pat Nagle with less than a minute to play to get the Beast on the board.
Brampton would head into the second intermission trailing 3-1 but ahead in shots by a count of 23-21.
The third period saw the Beast spark to life with a pair of goals to tie the game up 3-3.
TJ Melancon snuck through the pads of Nagle at 10:42 to draw the Beast within one. The tying goal came shortly after courtesy of new Beast captain Jordan Henry. He finished off the passing play from Andrew Sturtz at 11:51 to tie the contest.
The Walleye would sneak the winner past Daccord at 16:37 off the stick of Alex Kromm. That would stand up as the winner, Nagle was solid the rest of the way through the period to solidify the win.
Joey Daccord would be tagged with the loss after making 25 saves. Nagle picks up the win with 30 saves of is own.
The three stars of the game were 3) Nagle (TOL) 2) Clapperton (BRA) 1) Spezia (TOL) The Beast and Walleye finished the contest scoreless on the power play. Brampton will take on the Adirondack Thunder at home on Monday, October 14th at 12:35 PM.
For more information or general media inquiries on the Brampton Beast please contact Anthony Fusco, Public Relations Coordinator at (905) 564-1684 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Brampton Beast will be bringing their exciting brand of ECHL hockey back to the CAA Centre next season. Don't miss a minute of the action! 2019-20 Memberships are now available, join the club!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2019
- Grizzlies Fall 3-1 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Kosorenkov's Two Goals Not Enough in Loss for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Drop Hard-Fought Opener in Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Net Early Goals, Seal 3-1 Win over Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Slow Start Sinks Mavs in Home Opener, Lose 6-2 to Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Dominate Mavericks in 6-2 Win - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Score First, But Fall to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Resilient Effort Sends Swamp Rabbits Home with Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Pushes Thunder to Win over Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Come from Behind for Thrilling Opening Night Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Derailed by Worcester 5-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Stingrays Score First 4, Spoil Solar Bears' Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Rally in Third for Comeback Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Crush Thunder 5-1 in Front of 8,137 Fans at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Get First Win of the Season in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Force OT in Game 2 at Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Kromm's Late Winner Lifts Walleye in Season Opener - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Drop Close Opener against Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Gameday Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, October 12, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Announce Changes to 2019-20 Communications - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals at Growlers Again Following Wild Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Sign Former NHL Forward Casey Bailey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rush Earn Point in Season-Opening Overtime Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-2 Opening Game Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2 in Season Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Battle Back from Early Deficit; Fall in OT to Fuel - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Brampton Beast Stories
- Beauchemin's Hat Trick Helps Beast Crush Railers
- Brampton Derails Worcester with Big Third Period
- Choose Your Favourite Wiener for a Chance to Win at Sunday's Home Game
- Get Your Kotak Law Military Appreciation Jersey Now
- Hawerchuk Scores Beauty as Beast Top Walleye