Grizzlies Fall 3-2 in Season Opener
West Valley City, Utah - The Utah Grizzlies got goals from Travis Barron and Yuri Terao but it wasn't enough as Idaho Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl stopped 30 of 32 shots in a 3-2 win over the Grizzlies in front of 6182 in the season opener at Maverik Center.
Idaho led 2-0 as Zack Andrusiak and Brett Supinski each scored goals late in the first period. The Steelheads outshot Utah 17 to 9.
Utah got on the board at Travis Barron scored a power play goal with 9:14 left in the second period. Brandon Saigeon and Cole Cassels got the assists. Idaho responded as Anthony Nellis scored 8 seconds after coming out of the penalty box to make it a 3-1 game.
The Grizz scored the lone goal in the third period as Yuri Terao scored on a Ryan Wagner pass. Utah outshot Idaho 12 to 4 in the third but Sholl stopped each of his last 10 shots to earn the win. Utah goaltender Hunter Miska stopped 36 of 39 shots in the loss. Miska as well as 11 others made their Grizzlies debut tonight.
Utah defenseman Taylor Richart was wearing the captain "C" for the first time as he was named team captain for the 2019-2020 season.
The 2 game series concludes Saturday at Maverik Center. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jersey's for Epilepsy Awareness Night. Those jersey's will be auctioned off after the game. Face-off will be at 7:00 pm. You can catch the game on Classic Country am 1370 and in HD at 104.3 FM HD2. The game is also available on ECHL.TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2019
- Grizzlies Fall 3-1 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Kosorenkov's Two Goals Not Enough in Loss for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Drop Hard-Fought Opener in Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Net Early Goals, Seal 3-1 Win over Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Slow Start Sinks Mavs in Home Opener, Lose 6-2 to Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Dominate Mavericks in 6-2 Win - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Score First, But Fall to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Resilient Effort Sends Swamp Rabbits Home with Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Pushes Thunder to Win over Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Come from Behind for Thrilling Opening Night Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Derailed by Worcester 5-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Stingrays Score First 4, Spoil Solar Bears' Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Rally in Third for Comeback Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Crush Thunder 5-1 in Front of 8,137 Fans at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Get First Win of the Season in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Force OT in Game 2 at Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Kromm's Late Winner Lifts Walleye in Season Opener - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Drop Close Opener against Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Gameday Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, October 12, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Announce Changes to 2019-20 Communications - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals at Growlers Again Following Wild Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Sign Former NHL Forward Casey Bailey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rush Earn Point in Season-Opening Overtime Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-2 Opening Game Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2 in Season Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Battle Back from Early Deficit; Fall in OT to Fuel - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.