Steelheads Net Early Goals, Seal 3-1 Win over Utah
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (2-0-0) post another two-goal first period to help take a 3-1 win over the Utah Grizzlies (0-2-0) on Saturday night from Maverik Center. The Steelheads begin the season 2-0-0 for the first time since 2009-10.
For the second-straight night, the Steelheads opened the scoring but this time coming in the opening minutes. At 1:44, forward Joe Basaraba put back a rebound in front of the net started by defenseman Brady Norrish on the opening two shots of the night to take the initial 1-0 lead. The Steelheads found the second goal later on at 9:11 on another rebound chance, this time by forward Brett Supinski coming from a Max Coatta attempt to double the lead, 2-0.
In the second period, the Grizzlies put up a stronger offensive effort, but the lone goal came from the opposing side. Steelheads forward Spencer Naas helped Supinski turn over possession in the offensive end, and it was Naas to slide home the tally at 11:31, spreading the lead to 3-0.
The Grizzlies found their lone goal of the night at 2:08 of the third period on a bank shot by forward Travis Barron off a Steelheads defenseman to cut in to the lead, 3-1. However, the Steelheads held off the Grizzlies' efforts at a comeback to secure the 3-1 win.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (2-0-0) turned aside 39 of 40 shots in the win, while Grizzlies netminder Mason McDonald (0-1-0) stopped 29 of 32 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads open the 2019-20 home schedule at CenturyLink Arena on Friday, Oct. 18 at 7:10 p.m. against the Wichita Thunder to kick of Home Opening Weekend. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going online to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK "The Ticket" and at 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Channel 72 as well as ECHL.TV.
Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2019
- Grizzlies Fall 3-1 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Kosorenkov's Two Goals Not Enough in Loss for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Drop Hard-Fought Opener in Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Net Early Goals, Seal 3-1 Win over Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Slow Start Sinks Mavs in Home Opener, Lose 6-2 to Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Dominate Mavericks in 6-2 Win - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Score First, But Fall to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Resilient Effort Sends Swamp Rabbits Home with Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Pushes Thunder to Win over Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Come from Behind for Thrilling Opening Night Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Derailed by Worcester 5-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Stingrays Score First 4, Spoil Solar Bears' Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Rally in Third for Comeback Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Crush Thunder 5-1 in Front of 8,137 Fans at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Get First Win of the Season in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Force OT in Game 2 at Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Kromm's Late Winner Lifts Walleye in Season Opener - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Drop Close Opener against Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Gameday Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, October 12, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Announce Changes to 2019-20 Communications - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals at Growlers Again Following Wild Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Sign Former NHL Forward Casey Bailey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rush Earn Point in Season-Opening Overtime Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-2 Opening Game Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2 in Season Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Battle Back from Early Deficit; Fall in OT to Fuel - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Goaltender Matt Jurusik Joins Steelheads
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Forward Calder Brooks and Defenseman Darren Brady Join Steelheads
- Idaho Central Arena: New Name, New Updates Coming to Downtown Boise
- Forward Brett Supinski Returns to Steelheads