Game Notes: at Wichita
Rapid City Rush @ Wichita Thunder - 6:05 p.m. MDT
INTRUST Bank Arena
THIS SEASON/LAST GAME
Wichita: 1gp, 0-0-1-0, 1pts (T-4th Mountain)
10/11 vs Indy (5-4 OTL)
Rush: 1gp, 0-0-1-0, 1pts (T-4th Mountain)
10/11 @ Allen (3-2 OTL)
HEAD TO HEAD (8 Games Played 2018-19)
Wichita: 5-2-0-1 (11pts)
Rush: 3-5-0-0 (6pts)
BIG POINT OFF THE START: The Rush salvaged a point to start the 2019-20 ECHL season in their season-opening loss to Allen last night. While the Rush losing streak on opening night continues for a fifth straight year, the team did manage to earn a point on opening night for the first time since their last win at the start of the 2014-15 season, their first in the ECHL. That night, they beat the former rival Colorado Eagles by a 5-1 score at home. Since then, the Rush are 0-4-1-0 on opening night of a new season, losing twice to Allen in that span.
PERFECTION: Perfection accurately describes the Rush penalty-kill on opening night against Allen to start the season. For the first time since the 2017 season-opener, coincidentally enough against Allen, the Rush held their opponent off the scoreboard on the man-advantage, stopping all 6 Allen power plays last night. It's just the seventh time in now a dozen season-opening games that the Rush have held their opponent scoreless on the power play.
ROLL A SIX: Six different players hit the scoresheet for the Rush last night, kicking the season off in good form. Alex Rauter kicked things off with the fastest goal scored in a season-opening game 4:26 into the season (beating Scott Wray's previous mark of 4:58 in the 2012 opener at Bloomington), followed by Tyler Poulsen in the goal column. Peter Quenneville and Giovanni Fiore represented the new blood on the team with assists, while familiar faces Cedric Montminy and Myles McGurty also notched helpers.
WHERE HAVE WE SEEN THIS BEFORE?: It took exactly ONE GAME for the Rush to make their way back to overtime, something they made a common occurrence of in the 2018-19 season. The Rush played in 21 overtime/shootout games last year, which marked an ECHL-high, as well as a new franchise record. In the 21 post-regulation appearances, the Rush went 5-5 in overtime and went 7-4 in shootouts. As a matter of fact, the Rush went past 60 minutes so much, that when you add up their total time played after 60 minutes, it comes out to 61:42 of additional hockey. That's over a full extra game!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2019
- Grizzlies Fall 3-1 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Kosorenkov's Two Goals Not Enough in Loss for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Drop Hard-Fought Opener in Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Net Early Goals, Seal 3-1 Win over Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Slow Start Sinks Mavs in Home Opener, Lose 6-2 to Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Dominate Mavericks in 6-2 Win - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Score First, But Fall to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Resilient Effort Sends Swamp Rabbits Home with Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Pushes Thunder to Win over Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Come from Behind for Thrilling Opening Night Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Derailed by Worcester 5-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Stingrays Score First 4, Spoil Solar Bears' Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Rally in Third for Comeback Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Crush Thunder 5-1 in Front of 8,137 Fans at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Get First Win of the Season in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Force OT in Game 2 at Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Kromm's Late Winner Lifts Walleye in Season Opener - Toledo Walleye
- Beast Drop Close Opener against Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Gameday Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, October 12, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Announce Changes to 2019-20 Communications - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals at Growlers Again Following Wild Opening Night - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Sign Former NHL Forward Casey Bailey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rush Earn Point in Season-Opening Overtime Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-2 Opening Game Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2 in Season Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Battle Back from Early Deficit; Fall in OT to Fuel - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.