Isotopes Crush Cubs 13-3
The Albuquerque Isotopes (70-69) avoided their first sweep of the 2010 season by pounding the Iowa Cubs (80-60) 13-3 Thursday night at Isotopes Park, treating the fans present for the final regular season game at The Lab to a crucial 'Topes triumph. With four games to play, Albuquerque is now just two games behind Oklahoma City in the PCL's American Southern Division.
Iowa jumped out on top in the first thanks to a solo homer by Brad Snyder, but the Isotopes responded in the bottom of the frame when John Lindsey knocked an RBI single to tie the game at 1-1.
The Cubs added another run in the fourth to grab a 2-1 lead, but the 'Topes answered in the fifth with a couple of long balls. Los Angeles Dodgers All-Star Rafael Furcal, who was making the last of his two-game Major League rehab assignment in Albuquerque, hit a two-run home run off of Iowa's starter Austin Bibens-Dirkx, giving Albuquerque a 3-2 lead. With Ivan De Jesus Jr. on second base, Trent Oeljten followed with his own two-run dinger, putting up the Isotopes up 5-2 and giving the home team total control.
Albuquerque added a run in the sixth before both teams traded two tallies in the seventh to make the score 8-3, setting up another Isotopes' offensive eruption in the eighth. Lindsey, who on Thursday finished third in the PCL MVP voting, had three hits in four at-bats, including a two-run home run in eighth inning to put the Isotopes up 10-3 and ignite Albuquerque's big inning. Lindsey also finished with three RBI to lead the 'Topes. A.J. Ellis kept the rally going with a an RBI double before pitcher Josh Lindblom, who took the mound for Cory Wade in the top of the eighth, made the most out of his only plate appearance of the night, singling to left field to plate Ellis and Jamie Hoffmann for the final blow to the Cubs on Thursday night, putting the Isotopes up 13-3.
Making his second start of the season for Albuquerque, Francisco Felix (2-0) went 6.2 innings against the I-Cubs, giving up six hits and three earned runs while striking out five to claim his second straight victory.
The win capped another successful home schedule for the Isotopes, who drew 13,002 fans to Thursday night's contest, giving Albuquerque a total attendance for the season of 571,100 and an average of 8,159, third highest in the Pacific Coast League.
Albuquerque will now hit the road for four games in Round Rock to end the 2010 regular season. Right-hander John Ely (5-3, 5.93) will take the mound for the 'Topes against Express righty Shane Loux (5-12, 5.73) in a 6:05 PM MT start from Dell Diamond. Check out www.albuquerquebaseball.com for the all the up-to-the-minute playoff news as the 'Topes make a run at back-to-back PCL American Southern Division titles.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2010
- Aces Walk-Off with 5-4 Win Over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Beavers Lose Final Road Game on Easley's Two-Run Single in Ninth - Portland Beavers
- Isotopes Crush Cubs 13-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Come up Short Against Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Timbers Set New Attendance Records, Welcome One Millionth Fan In - Portland Beavers
- Big Crowd Enjoys Win, Final Game Tributes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Drop Finale at Omaha 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Sweep RedHawks in Doubleheader - Nashville Sounds
- J.P. Arencibia Named PCL MVP - PCL
- Michael Kirkman Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Last Time For Sky Sox Fans To Enjoy Boys Of Summer - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Rally to Win Home Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Drop Road Finale; Barden Extends Hit Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Huge Night Planned for Jay Miller Appreciation - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Return for Final Homestand of 2010 - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Cubs in Tight Pennant Race - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Renew PDC with Omaha Through 2014 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tammen Named Sounds General Manager - Nashville Sounds
- Stansberry Breaks Hits Record as Beavers Roll Aces - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Cruise Past Aces, 11-3 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.