Timbers Set New Attendance Records, Welcome One Millionth Fan In
With a sellout crowd of 15,418 in attendance at Thursday night's final home game of the 2010 regular season, the Portland Timbers set a new modern-franchise (2001-10) record for regular-season attendance.
The Timbers also set a new record for sellouts in a season (5) since 2001 and welcomed their one millionth fan over that 10-year span.
Portland drew 155,006 fans over 15 league games this season, an average of 10,334 per game. The Timbers attracted sellout crowds for home games against Rochester on April 17, Seattle Sounders FC on June 30, NSC Minnesota on Aug. 11, Crystal Palace Baltimore on Aug. 29 and against Puerto Rico on Thursday. With a combined six exhibition and U.S. Open Cup matches in 2010, the Timbers drew an additional 51,244 fans for an overall total of 206,250 for the season.
Additionally, a significant milestone was commemorated as Timbers fan Jeff Whitman was honored as the team's "One Millionth Fan" as he entered the gates just before Thursday's match against Puerto Rico. Whitman received a celebratory Timbers gift pack, which included an official "One Millionth Fan" Timbers jersey.
This year's attendance eclipsed the previous modern-franchise mark of 146,005 set in 2009. For the third straight season, the Timbers broke the 100,000 mark in regular-season attendance.
Thursday night was the final Timbers game at PGE Park before it undergoes a substantial renovation in preparation for the team's inaugural Major League Soccer season in 2011.
Season tickets for the Timbers' inaugural MLS season start at $15 per game and are available for purchase by contacting a Timbers ticket representative at (503) 553-5555. A virtual venue feature at www.PortlandMLS2011.com offers fans the ability to simultaneously compare three-dimensional, 360-degree views from all seating sections and the opportunity to explore the exciting changes that will occur at PGE Park for the 2011 MLS season. -- visit www.portlandtimbers.com
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2010
- Aces Walk-Off with 5-4 Win Over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Beavers Lose Final Road Game on Easley's Two-Run Single in Ninth - Portland Beavers
- Isotopes Crush Cubs 13-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Come up Short Against Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Timbers Set New Attendance Records, Welcome One Millionth Fan In - Portland Beavers
- Big Crowd Enjoys Win, Final Game Tributes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Drop Finale at Omaha 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Sweep RedHawks in Doubleheader - Nashville Sounds
- J.P. Arencibia Named PCL MVP - PCL
- Michael Kirkman Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Last Time For Sky Sox Fans To Enjoy Boys Of Summer - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Rally to Win Home Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Drop Road Finale; Barden Extends Hit Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Huge Night Planned for Jay Miller Appreciation - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Return for Final Homestand of 2010 - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Cubs in Tight Pennant Race - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Renew PDC with Omaha Through 2014 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tammen Named Sounds General Manager - Nashville Sounds
- Stansberry Breaks Hits Record as Beavers Roll Aces - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Cruise Past Aces, 11-3 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss