Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss
PORTLAND, Ore. - Mike Jacobs homered and drove in four runs in support of Shawn Hill as the Las Vegas 51s cruised to a 9-1 victory over the Portland Beavers at PGE Park Saturday night.
Jacobs went 2-for-4 with a three-run homer as part of the 51s' (66-76) five-run sixth and added a sacrifice fly in the seventh. Manny Mayorson added three hits, a stolen base and two runs scored and Aaron Mathews had two hits and two RBIs as the 51s won for the fourth time in their last five games in Portland.
Hill (2-2) tossed six shutout innings, holding Portland (57-85) to two hits and two walks while fanning four.
Mike Baxter went 2-for-4 with a double and Craig Stansberry drove in the only Portland run with an RBI single in the seventh. The Beavers were out-hit, 15-4.
Simon Castro (0-1) allowed six runs on nine hits and four walks in 5 1/3 innings to suffer his first career Triple-A loss.
In the fourth, Raul Chavez knocked in Brad Emaus, who had doubled, then scored on a single by Mathews to put the 51s up 3-0.
Castro's night ended after getting himself into a jam in the sixth inning that resulted in five Las Vegas runs. He gave up one-out singles to Mayorson and Jonathan Diaz and an RBI double to Mathews before being lifted in favor of Greg Burke. Jacobs welcomed Burke with a three-run shot to right field and Emaus later knocked in another run with a bases-loaded single.
Mayorson hit a ground-rule double in the seventh and scored on Jacobs' sac fly to extend Las Vegas's lead to 9-0.
Baxter led off the seventh with a double and Jody Gerut followed with a walk but the Beavers managed to score just once, on a two-out single by Stansberry.
The Beavers and 51s continue the final series of the season Sunday afternoon at PGE Park at 2:05 p.m. (Pacific).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 4, 2010
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss - Portland Beavers
- Aces Rally Late To Push Past Bees, 6-5 - Reno Aces
- RiverCats Rough Up Sky Sox 16-9 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Iowa beats Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Knuckle Past Isotopes 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Wilson homer leads Z's past Sounds 2-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Zephyrs Even Series With 2-1 Win - Nashville Sounds
- Jeff Francis to Rehab with Sky Sox on Sunday, September 5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes Vs. Albuquerque Isotopes - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers begin final homestand with 9-2 loss - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss