Beavers begin final homestand with 9-2 loss
PORTLAND, Ore. - Jonathan Diaz's two-run homer capped a six-run second inning and Luis Perez went the distance as the Las Vegas 51s opened the final series of the season with a 9-2 win over the Portland Beavers before 7,933 fans at PGE Park Friday night.
Perez (5-5) struck out six and did not walk a batter while allowing two earned runs on six hits in his first career nine-inning complete game.
Diaz, Manny Mayorson, Jason Lane and Aaron Mathews led the 51s (65-76) with two RBIs apiece and Chris Lubanski drew three walks.
Jody Gerut had two hits, including a double, and Dusty Ryan hit an RBI double as Portland (57-84) dropped its sixth consecutive game at home.
Jon Berger (0-1) took the loss in his Triple-A debut, giving up six earned runs in two innings of work.
After a 1-2-3 first, Berger loaded the bases with no outs in the second on singles by Lane and Brad Emaus and a walk to Lubanski. With one out, Mathews doubled into the left-center field gap for the first two runs before Raul Chavez plated Emaus with an RBI groundout. Mayorson followed with an RBI single and Diaz homered off the brick wall behind the left field fence as the 51s took a 6-0 lead.
Perez kept Portland at bay until the fifth, when Gerut led off with a double and scored on Ryan's double to center. Two batters later, Ryan scored from third on Perez's balk.
Las Vegas added an insurance run in the sixth on Mayorson's RBI double and two more in the ninth on a double by Lane.
The Beavers and 51s continue the final series of the season Saturday night at PGE Park at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 4, 2010
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss - Portland Beavers
- Aces Rally Late To Push Past Bees, 6-5 - Reno Aces
- RiverCats Rough Up Sky Sox 16-9 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Iowa beats Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Knuckle Past Isotopes 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Wilson homer leads Z's past Sounds 2-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Zephyrs Even Series With 2-1 Win - Nashville Sounds
- Jeff Francis to Rehab with Sky Sox on Sunday, September 5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes Vs. Albuquerque Isotopes - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers begin final homestand with 9-2 loss - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss