Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
"We have entered into an agreement to sell the Triple-A franchise to an ownership group led by Jeff Moorad, owner of the San Diego Padres. The deal is expected to close in December of this year and is conditional on baseball's approval.
What this means is that, as expected, the Portland Beavers' move will not just be temporary. As I have expressed many times, moving the team from the Portland area represents a professional and personal disappointment for me. It was not the outcome we anticipated and expected. It remains my strong belief that just as the Beavers returned to Portland in 2001 after being moved to Salt Lake City in the 1990s, Triple-A baseball will again return to Portland; only this time the return will be to a permanent baseball-specific ballpark home where the franchise can flourish and succeed. I remain committed to aiding in that effort as I can."
Merritt Paulson Owner Portland Beavers
There will be no further comment at this time.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from October 14, 2010
- Grizzlies To Launch Wild About Reading Caravan Next Week - Fresno Grizzlies
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers - Portland Beavers
- River Cats Independence Field To Be Dedicated To Art Savage - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss