Beavers Lose Final Road Game on Easley's Two-Run Single in Ninth
Ed Easley hit a two-run single with the bases loaded in the ninth inning as the Reno Aces came back to win 5-4 over the Portland Beavers at Aces Ballpark Thursday night.
Luis Perdomo (3-6) walked Jeff Bailey and Yunesky Sanchez to start the Aces' (67-72) half of the ninth, and after a sacrifice bunt, he intentionally walked Carlos Corporan to load the bases before Easley's single through the hole at short.
Doug Deeds doubled and tripled with two runs and former Beaver Drew Macias had an RBI single for Reno.
Jody Gerut had hit a go-ahead two-run homer in the eighth to put the Beavers (57-83) in position to win it but Perdomo could not protect the one-run lead. Dusty Ryan was 2-for-3 with an RBI double and Luis Durango and Josh Barfield both had a pair of hits.
Kasey Olenberger (2-3) worked a scoreless ninth for the victory.
Portland wasted seven solid innings by Radhames Liz, who gave up three runs (2 earned) on five hits and two walks.
After falling behind 3-0 in the third, the Beavers used an RBI double by Dusty Ryan and an RBI single by Liz to get within one run in the fifth before Gerut homered to right off Jason Urquidez with a man aboard and two outs in the eighth.
The Beavers had a chance to set a team record for wins on a road trip but settled for a 9-4 mark on the trip to Las Vegas, Tacoma and Reno.
Kevin Mulvey went seven innings for the Aces, yielding two runs on six hits and two walks.
The Beavers return to PGE Park for their final home series against Las Vegas Friday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: The Beavers finished their road schedule with a 33-39 record ... it was Gerut's first home run for the Beavers since May 4, 2008.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2010
- Aces Walk-Off with 5-4 Win Over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Beavers Lose Final Road Game on Easley's Two-Run Single in Ninth - Portland Beavers
- Isotopes Crush Cubs 13-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Come up Short Against Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Timbers Set New Attendance Records, Welcome One Millionth Fan In - Portland Beavers
- Big Crowd Enjoys Win, Final Game Tributes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Drop Finale at Omaha 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Sweep RedHawks in Doubleheader - Nashville Sounds
- J.P. Arencibia Named PCL MVP - PCL
- Michael Kirkman Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Last Time For Sky Sox Fans To Enjoy Boys Of Summer - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Rally to Win Home Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Drop Road Finale; Barden Extends Hit Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Huge Night Planned for Jay Miller Appreciation - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Return for Final Homestand of 2010 - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Cubs in Tight Pennant Race - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Renew PDC with Omaha Through 2014 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tammen Named Sounds General Manager - Nashville Sounds
- Stansberry Breaks Hits Record as Beavers Roll Aces - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Cruise Past Aces, 11-3 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss