Redbirds Rally to Win Home Finale
MEMPHIS, TN - Memphis finished off their regular season home schedule with a come-from-behind 3-2 win over New Orleans Thursday afternoon at AutoZone Park.
The Redbirds had just five hits going into the eighth inning before rallying for three runs on a pair of hits and a timely balk to come back and win their 80th game of the year. Adron Chambers reached on an error to lead off the inning and scored on Daniel Descalso's single to right field. With runners on first and third Zephyrs relief pitcher Bryan Peterson balked in the tying run. New Orleans manager Greg Norton was ejected arguing the call. Allen Craig then delivered the winning-run with a sacrifice fly to left field. Josh Kinney worked a 1-2-3 ninth inning to finish off the victory and earn his 16th save of the year.
Reliever Rich Rundles picked up the win recording just two outs in the eighth inning. Peterson took the loss giving up three runs on two hits in the eighth inning. Memphis starter P.J. Walters struck out 10 and allowed two runs on six hits over 5.1 innings.
The 'Birds join Memphis' 2000 team as the only clubs in franchise history to win 80 games. The Redbirds won a franchise record 83 games en route to their first Pacific Coast League championship in 2000.
The Redbirds begin an important four-game series at Iowa tomorrow night with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Memphis began the day one game back of the division-leading I-Cubs, who play at Albuquerque tonight. Brandon Dickson will be on the bump for the 'Birds against Iowa's Chris Carpenter. For playoff ticket information call 901.721.6000 or visit memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2010
- Aces Walk-Off with 5-4 Win Over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Beavers Lose Final Road Game on Easley's Two-Run Single in Ninth - Portland Beavers
- Isotopes Crush Cubs 13-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Come up Short Against Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Timbers Set New Attendance Records, Welcome One Millionth Fan In - Portland Beavers
- Big Crowd Enjoys Win, Final Game Tributes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Drop Finale at Omaha 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Sweep RedHawks in Doubleheader - Nashville Sounds
- J.P. Arencibia Named PCL MVP - PCL
- Michael Kirkman Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Last Time For Sky Sox Fans To Enjoy Boys Of Summer - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Rally to Win Home Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Drop Road Finale; Barden Extends Hit Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Huge Night Planned for Jay Miller Appreciation - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Return for Final Homestand of 2010 - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Cubs in Tight Pennant Race - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Renew PDC with Omaha Through 2014 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tammen Named Sounds General Manager - Nashville Sounds
- Stansberry Breaks Hits Record as Beavers Roll Aces - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Cruise Past Aces, 11-3 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Minor League Baseball Delays Start of 2020 Season
- Redbirds Single-Game Tickets on Sale
- AutoZone Park Set to Host St. Louis Cardinals Caravan
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night