Iowa Cubs in Tight Pennant Race
Des Moines, IA - The Iowa Cubs are in first place in the American Northern Division of the 16-team Pacific Coast League. With five games left this season, the Cubs have a one game lead over the Memphis Redbirds, Triple-A affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals.
Iowa and Memphis will play the final four regular season games Friday at Principal Park. The Cubs and Redbirds' head-to-head record this season is tied at 6-6. In the event of a tie, Memphis would clinch the tie-breaker because their division record is better than Iowa's.
Memphis 22-22 (4 remaining)
Iowa 18-26 (4 remaining)
If Iowa wins and Memphis loses tonight, the Cubs would clinch the division title with two wins in the final four games against Memphis. The same scenario is true if both teams would lose tonight. If Memphis wins tonight and Iowa loses, they would need to win three of four games from Iowa to win the division outright.
The Cubs play the Albuquerque Isotopes tonight in Albuquerque before returning home Friday to play the Memphis Redbirds in the final four games of the 2010 season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2010
- Aces Walk-Off with 5-4 Win Over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Beavers Lose Final Road Game on Easley's Two-Run Single in Ninth - Portland Beavers
- Isotopes Crush Cubs 13-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Come up Short Against Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Timbers Set New Attendance Records, Welcome One Millionth Fan In - Portland Beavers
- Big Crowd Enjoys Win, Final Game Tributes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Drop Finale at Omaha 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Sweep RedHawks in Doubleheader - Nashville Sounds
- J.P. Arencibia Named PCL MVP - PCL
- Michael Kirkman Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Last Time For Sky Sox Fans To Enjoy Boys Of Summer - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Rally to Win Home Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Drop Road Finale; Barden Extends Hit Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Huge Night Planned for Jay Miller Appreciation - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Return for Final Homestand of 2010 - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Cubs in Tight Pennant Race - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Renew PDC with Omaha Through 2014 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tammen Named Sounds General Manager - Nashville Sounds
- Stansberry Breaks Hits Record as Beavers Roll Aces - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Cruise Past Aces, 11-3 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.