Z's Drop Road Finale; Barden Extends Hit Streak
The Memphis Redbirds rallied scoring three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to defeat the New Orleans Zephyrs 3-2 in front of 5,002 fans at Autozone Park. The Zephyrs scored a run in the first inning with Brian Barden drilling a double in the gap to right field scoring Mike Lamb. The hit extended Barden's hit streak to 18 games. New Orleans added a second run when Gookie Dawkins reached on a strike out wild pitch. He would steal second base and score on a Lamb RBI hit. The Z's starter Brian Lawrence pitched seven shutout innings and received a no decision. The Redbirds rally started with an error by the Z's shortstop. Memphis added a single and scored a run when Daniel Descalso singled. The tying run scored on a controversial balk call by the umpire. Z's manager argued and was ejected for the first time this season. Allen Craig drove home the game winning run with a sacrifice fly. Rich rundles picked up the win Peterson the loss and Josh Kinney needed six pitched to earn his 16th save of the season. The win keeps Memphis in the playoff race, the Birds are a half game back of Iowa.
Game Notes: Brian Barden extended his hitting streak to 18 games, the longest by a Zephyr this season and the longest active streak in the PCL. He is tied for the fourth-longest streak in the PCL this season. The Z's finished the 13 game road trip 3-10, it matched the most losses ever in a road trip for the Z's. The Z's went 3-10 in August 0f 2006.
Coming up - The Zephyrs will open the final home series of the season. The Z's will host the Nashville Sounds in game one of a four game set at 7PM at Zephyr Field. Zephyrs will start RH Nic Ungs (1-2, 7.43) vs. RH josh Butler (5-1, 4.99). Promotions: Fireworks. RADIO: 106.1 FM
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2010
- Aces Walk-Off with 5-4 Win Over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Beavers Lose Final Road Game on Easley's Two-Run Single in Ninth - Portland Beavers
- Isotopes Crush Cubs 13-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Come up Short Against Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Timbers Set New Attendance Records, Welcome One Millionth Fan In - Portland Beavers
- Big Crowd Enjoys Win, Final Game Tributes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Drop Finale at Omaha 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Sweep RedHawks in Doubleheader - Nashville Sounds
- J.P. Arencibia Named PCL MVP - PCL
- Michael Kirkman Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Last Time For Sky Sox Fans To Enjoy Boys Of Summer - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Rally to Win Home Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Drop Road Finale; Barden Extends Hit Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Huge Night Planned for Jay Miller Appreciation - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Return for Final Homestand of 2010 - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Cubs in Tight Pennant Race - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Renew PDC with Omaha Through 2014 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tammen Named Sounds General Manager - Nashville Sounds
- Stansberry Breaks Hits Record as Beavers Roll Aces - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Cruise Past Aces, 11-3 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.