Stansberry Breaks Hits Record as Beavers Roll Aces
RENO, Nev. - Craig Stansberry went 3-for-5 with a three-run homer and broke Jon Knott's modern franchise hits record (since 2001) with an eighth-inning single, his 396th hit in a Portland Beavers uniform, and Sean Kazmar went 4-for-6 with two RBIs as the Beavers coasted past the Reno Aces 11-3 Wednesday night at Aces Ballpark.
Stansberry, who has played for Portland (57-82) since 2007, also broke the franchise's games and walks and records earlier this season. He remains tied with Knott for the doubles record at 89.
Mike Baxter hit his team-leading 18th home run and drove in three runs while Kazmar, who entered with 12 hits in his last five games, tallied his fourth straight multi-hit game and seventh in his last 10.
Cesar Ramos (6-7) held the Aces (66-72) to two runs (1 earned) on three hits and a walk over five innings to improve to 6-1 on the road this season.
The Beavers tied a franchise record with their ninth win on the current road trip.
Doug Deeds and Yunesky Sanchez each had two hits for the Aces, who boasted the PCL's best record in August at 20-9 but did not start September on the right note.
Cesar Valdez (5-10) gave up seven runs (5 earned) on nine hits and four walks in 5 1/3 innings.
Baxter took Valdez deep for a solo shot in the first and the Beavers tacked on four runs in the fourth, highlighted by Kazmar's two-run single.
Cole Gillespie tripled and scored in the bottom half of the fourth to get Reno on the board before Deeds's RBI groundout in the fifth.
Portland added two in the sixth before Stansberry's three-run blast, his eighth on the season, in the seventh.
Beavers reliever Mike Koplove, who has the PCL's most recent inside-the-park grand slam, singled with the bases loaded in the eighth inning.
The Beavers play their final road game Thursday night when they take on the Aces at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Earlier in the day, the Padres recalled right-hander Ryan Webb and selected left-hander Cory Luebke and catcher Chris Stewart from Portland. Reliever Aaron Poreda was reinstated from the disabled list and pitched a scoreless ninth ... Stansberry has nine hits in five games since coming off the disabled list ... Baxter needs two home runs in his final five games to become the second player in team history to hit 20 home runs and steal 20 bases in one season ... Baxter is hitting .516 (16-for-31) with two home runs and 13 RBIs in seven games at Aces Ballpark this season.
Beavers Game File WEDNESDAY'S GAME: Beavers 11, Reno 3 WINNING PITCHER: Ramos (6-7) LOSING PITCHER: Valdez (5-10) SAVE: None HOME RUNS: Baxter (18), Stansberry (8) THURSDAY'S GAME: Portland (Radhames Liz: 8-8, 4.97) at Reno (Kevin Mulvey: 7-8, 4.75), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2010
- Aces Walk-Off with 5-4 Win Over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Beavers Lose Final Road Game on Easley's Two-Run Single in Ninth - Portland Beavers
- Isotopes Crush Cubs 13-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Come up Short Against Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Timbers Set New Attendance Records, Welcome One Millionth Fan In - Portland Beavers
- Big Crowd Enjoys Win, Final Game Tributes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Drop Finale at Omaha 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Sweep RedHawks in Doubleheader - Nashville Sounds
- J.P. Arencibia Named PCL MVP - PCL
- Michael Kirkman Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Last Time For Sky Sox Fans To Enjoy Boys Of Summer - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Rally to Win Home Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Drop Road Finale; Barden Extends Hit Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Huge Night Planned for Jay Miller Appreciation - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Return for Final Homestand of 2010 - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Cubs in Tight Pennant Race - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Renew PDC with Omaha Through 2014 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tammen Named Sounds General Manager - Nashville Sounds
- Stansberry Breaks Hits Record as Beavers Roll Aces - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Cruise Past Aces, 11-3 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss