Indians in the Community: Shepherd Community Center
INDIANAPOLIS -- The near east side of Indianapolis is one of the poorest areas of the city. One organization dedicated to breaking its cycle of poverty is Shepherd Community Center. The Indians started working with the nonprofit in 2017, and the partnership continues to pay dividends today.
Shepherd Community Center is a faith-based, inner-city ministry that has operated on the near east side of Indianapolis since 1985. Poverty is a defining characteristic of the neighborhoods it serves. Poverty rates in these areas reach as high as 38 percent, and 8 out of 10 children rely on school as their primary source of food during the week.
Yet, Shepherd exists to provide hope and support to its neighbors. In an area where only 33 percent of freshmen entering high school eventually graduate and only 75 percent of those who graduate go to college, nearly 90 percent of Shepherd's seniors graduate and go on to college, job training or the military. Many Shepherd students are first-generation high school graduates.
The Indians organization has committed to supporting Shepherd through donations from in-park jersey auctions, player appearances and staff volunteer opportunities. Recently, seven Tribe employees volunteered at Shepherd's Field Day, the students' last day of school before summer. Later this year, the front office is participating in Shepherd's Poverty 101 course to learn more about the challenges of breaking the cycle of poverty and the resources needed to do so.
To learn more about Shepherd Community Center, visit shepherdcommunity.org.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Six-run rally sparks second straight thrilling comeback win for RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Take Series Finale to Sweep PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rogers Goes Yard as Mud Hens Fall - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Lead Knights Past Mets 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs snap six-game losing streak in finale at Toledo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Syracuse Loses Series Finale to Charlotte, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tribe Rally Falls Short After Eight-Run Fifth by Bisons - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings, Clips Split Doubleheader Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Stripers Slip Past Louisville on Marte's Two-Run Single - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bichette and Offense Explode in 11-8 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale to Gwinnett, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Adjust Schedule for Two Home Dates in August - Charlotte Knights
- Il All-Star Voting Leaders Update - IL
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-32) at Buffalo Bisons (33-36) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Indianapolis (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians in the Community: Shepherd Community Center - Indianapolis Indians
- Food Deals Highlight Four-Game Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Former Tribe Third Baseman Ke'Bryan Hayes Named to Baseball America's MLB All-Rookie Team
- Indianapolis Indians Charities Golf Outing Recap
- This Date in Indians History - September
- Special Olympics Indiana 2020 State Softball Championship Games Coming to Victory Field
- Five MLB Playoff Teams Feature Former Indianapolis Indians