Wings, Clips Split Doubleheader Thursday
The Red Wings split a doubleheader with the Columbus Clippers Thursday afternoon at Huntington Park.
The Wings (33-36) - who dropped two of the three games in Columbus - lost their first series since May 28-30 at Scranton/WB.
Zander Wiel provided the pop in Game One - the resumption of Wednesday night's suspended game - with a three-run home run in the 7th inning that turned a 1-1 game into a 4-1 game.
Wednesday's game was suspended by heavy rain in the bottom of the fifth inning with the score tied, 1-1.
Adam Bray - just called up from Double-A Pensacola - earned the win in his Red Wings debut tossing 3.2 innings, allowing one run on two hits.
Brent Rooker - who hit a solo homer in Wednesday's suspended game - hit a three-run blast in the third inning of Game Two that extended the Wings lead to 4-0.
Rooker has now homered in three straight games for Rochester.
But the Clippers would come back on the strength of three home runs - including two from Bobby Bradley who now leads the International League with 24 round trippers on the season. His second came in the sixth inning off Chase De Jong to tie the game at 4-4.
After the Wings failed to push a run across in the eighth inning, Ryan Flaherty doubled home the winning run for the walk off win in the bottom of the frame.
The Wings could have easily swept the series as they blew an 8-2 lead on Tuesday and a 4-0 lead in Game Two.
Rochester West Division road trip continues Friday with another doubleheader in Toledo. First pitch of Game One is set for 6:05.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Six-run rally sparks second straight thrilling comeback win for RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Take Series Finale to Sweep PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rogers Goes Yard as Mud Hens Fall - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Lead Knights Past Mets 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs snap six-game losing streak in finale at Toledo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Syracuse Loses Series Finale to Charlotte, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tribe Rally Falls Short After Eight-Run Fifth by Bisons - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings, Clips Split Doubleheader Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Stripers Slip Past Louisville on Marte's Two-Run Single - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bichette and Offense Explode in 11-8 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale to Gwinnett, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Adjust Schedule for Two Home Dates in August - Charlotte Knights
- Il All-Star Voting Leaders Update - IL
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-32) at Buffalo Bisons (33-36) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Indianapolis (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians in the Community: Shepherd Community Center - Indianapolis Indians
- Food Deals Highlight Four-Game Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Red Wings 2020 Season Cancelled
- City of Rochester Mayor Warren Announces ROC'N Drive-In, Partnership with MVP Health Care, Rochester Red Wings and the Cinema Theater
- Red Wings to Host Dinner on the Diamond
- Red Wings Extend Fan Safety Netting to Both Berms
- Wings Hosting Dinner on the Diamond June 12 and 13