IronPigs snap six-game losing streak in finale at Toledo
(Toledo, OH) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (33-36) six-game losing streak came to an end on Thursday night as they beat the Toledo Mud Hens (30-40) by a score of 9-5. Tyler Viza (1-6) earned his first victory of the season and just his second win ever at the triple-A level.
The game didn't start out easy for Viza as Victor Reyes hit an RBI single in the bottom of the first inning to score Willi Castro and give the Mud Hens a 1-0 lead. Their lead expanded to 3-0 in the bottom of the second inning as Jake Rogers hit at two-run home run.
Lehigh Valley put a two-spot on the scoreboard in the top of the third inning against Gregory Soto (0-1) as Andrew Romine hit an RBI single and Jan Hernandez scored on an RBI groundout by Deivy Grullon. The Pigs would take a 5-3 lead in the top of the fourth inning. Ali Castillo homered, Hernandez hit an RBI double and then scored on a wild pitch.
Viza allowed one more run in the top of the fifth inning as Daniel Pinero scored on an RBI groundout by Castro. He allowed four runs (two earned) off four hits and one walk with five strikeouts in five innings.
Phil Gosselin gave Lehigh Valley a 6-4 lead against Eduardo Jimenez in the top of the sixth inning as he hit an RBI single to score Malquin Canelo. The Pigs lead would extend to 9-4 in the top of the eighth inning as Romine hit a three-run home run off Jose Fernandez.
Tyler Gilbert gave up a run in the bottom of the eighth inning as Dustin Peterson hit an RBI single to cut Lehigh Valley's lead to 9-5.
The IronPigs continue their road trip on Friday evening in Columbus as they will begin a three-game series with the Clippers. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Six-run rally sparks second straight thrilling comeback win for RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Take Series Finale to Sweep PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rogers Goes Yard as Mud Hens Fall - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Lead Knights Past Mets 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs snap six-game losing streak in finale at Toledo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Syracuse Loses Series Finale to Charlotte, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tribe Rally Falls Short After Eight-Run Fifth by Bisons - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings, Clips Split Doubleheader Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Stripers Slip Past Louisville on Marte's Two-Run Single - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bichette and Offense Explode in 11-8 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale to Gwinnett, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Adjust Schedule for Two Home Dates in August - Charlotte Knights
- Il All-Star Voting Leaders Update - IL
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-32) at Buffalo Bisons (33-36) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Indianapolis (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians in the Community: Shepherd Community Center - Indianapolis Indians
- Food Deals Highlight Four-Game Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Service Electric Network to Televise Phillies Taxi Squad Games
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs 2020 Season Is Canceled
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6