Rogers Goes Yard as Mud Hens Fall
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Toledo Mud Hens could not complete the series sweep as the Lehigh Valley Rail Riders claimed a 9-5 victory on Thursday evening at Fifth Third Field.
Jake Rogers tallied his sixth home run of the season in the second inning as the Mud Hens (30-40) could not complete the series sweep over the Rail Riders (33-36).
Toledo got on the board early as Victor Reyes drove a ball up the middle bringing in Willi Castro.
In the second inning, Rogers blasted a home run to straight away center bringing in Daniel Pinero as the Mud Hens took a 3-0 lead.
The Iron Pigs found the scoreboard in the third inning as Andrew Romine bunted for a base hit and Malquin Canelo scored with Jan Hernandez moving to second. For the first out of the inning Phil Gosselin flew out allowing Hernandez to go to third. Deivy Grullon then hit into a fielder's choice scoring Hernandez on the play as Lehigh Valley cut the score to 3-2.
Ali Castillo led off the fourth inning with a solo home run to tie the game. The Iron Pigs then went on a two-out rally as Canelo singled and moved to second on a wild pitch. Hernandez then doubled to left bringing in Canelo as Lehigh Valley took the lead. Hernandez then took third and scored on two different wild pitches as LHP Gregory Soto reached five wild pitches in the game.
Toledo battled in the fifth inning as Pinero doubled to begin the inning. Jacob Robson then singled to left field to move Pinero to third. Castro then hit a ground ball to the right side of the infield with Robson on the move as Pinero scored and Castro was retired bringing the Mud Hens within one.
Gosselin singled up the middle as Pinero made a play on the ball and committed a throwing error allowing Canelo to score as the Iron Pigs took a 6-4 lead.
Lehigh Valley used consecutive one out singles to set up Andrew Romine who notched a three-run home run extending its lead to 9-4 in the eighth inning.
Toledo fought back to plate a run in the bottom half of the inning as Dustin Peterson brought in Jeimer Candelario with a single.
The Mud Hens could not muster a come back in the final frame and fell to the Rail Riders 9-5.
The Toledo Mud Hens welcome the Rochester Red Wings to town to begin a four-game series. Friday evening is a double header featuring two seven-inning games beginning at 6:05 p.m.
- Pregame Future Mud Hen 2-Day Baseball Camp
- Muddy and Spike's Inflatable Theme Park
- Jeep Fest Preview Night
- Postgame Fireworks
- Boy Scout Experience
- Hensville Live! featuring Distant Cousinz
For more information go to www.milb.com/toledo/tickets/promotions
#RoadToDetroit Report (ranking according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron: 0 for 4
6. RHP Beau Burrows: DNP (IL)
7. IF Willi Castro: 0 for 3, run scored
10. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP
12. C Jake Rogers: 1 for 4, home run, two RBI, run scored
16. OF Jacob Robson: 1 for 4
18. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP
19. OF Danny Woodrow: DNP
22. RHP John Schreiber: DNP
25. LHP Gregory Soto: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
26. RHP Sandy Baez: DNP (IL)
27. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
28. IF/OF Dustin Peterson: 1 for 4, RBI
- Willi Castro stole his 13th base of the season to pace the Mud Hens.
- The bat of Jacob Robson has been heating up over the last eleven games as he has recorded a hit in each of them. Robson has gone 18 for 41 with a double, two triples, a home run and six RBI. Since the streak began, his average has increased from .203 to .254.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Six-run rally sparks second straight thrilling comeback win for RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Take Series Finale to Sweep PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rogers Goes Yard as Mud Hens Fall - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Lead Knights Past Mets 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs snap six-game losing streak in finale at Toledo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Syracuse Loses Series Finale to Charlotte, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tribe Rally Falls Short After Eight-Run Fifth by Bisons - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings, Clips Split Doubleheader Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Stripers Slip Past Louisville on Marte's Two-Run Single - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bichette and Offense Explode in 11-8 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale to Gwinnett, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Adjust Schedule for Two Home Dates in August - Charlotte Knights
- Il All-Star Voting Leaders Update - IL
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-32) at Buffalo Bisons (33-36) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Indianapolis (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians in the Community: Shepherd Community Center - Indianapolis Indians
- Food Deals Highlight Four-Game Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.