Indians Add OF Lonnie Chisenhall on Rehab Assignment
INDIANAPOLIS - Today the Indianapolis Indians announced, in conjunction with the Pittsburgh Pirates, that outfielder Lonnie Chisenhall has joined the Tribe on a major league rehab assignment. Chisenhall, 30, was placed on the injured list with a right index finger fracture on March 28.
Chisenhall signed a one-year major league contract with the Pirates on Nov. 27, 2018. He played in just 29 games for Cleveland last summer due to left and right leg calf strains and hit .321 (27-for-84) with one home run, six doubles and nine RBI. He first broke into the big leagues in 2011 with Cleveland and is a lifetime .268 hitter (578-for-2,159) with 64 homers, 132 doubles and 296 RBI in 688 career major league games.
The North Carolina native was originally selected by the Indians in the first round (29th overall) of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft. Two years prior, the Pirates selected him in the 11th round of the draft, but he opted to attend the University of South Carolina for a year before transferring to Pitt Junior College in Greenville, N.C. for his sophomore season.
Chisenhall will be the fourth major league rehabber to have played for the Tribe this season. Catcher Elias Diaz was the first to join the club while outfielder Gregory Polanco and relief pitcher Dovydas Neverauskas joined Indy on rehabs shortly thereafter.
Indianapolis' MLB rehab assignments are presented by Franciscan Health.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Mud Hens Falter Late in Extra Innings to Clippers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Hang on for 4-1 Victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Best Tribe Behind Three-Run First - Indianapolis Indians
- Littell, Wiel Lead Wings to 4-1 Win over 'Pigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Littell, Red Wings beat IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Win Series Opener at Victory Field, 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Friday's Bisons/RailRiders Game Postponed - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Game Postponed - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Friday's Bisons/RailRiders Game Postponed Due to Rain - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Postponed on Friday in Norfolk, VA - Charlotte Knights
- Tides and Charlotte Postponed Friday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-4) vs. Louisville Bats (6-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Postponed in Durham on April 19 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Syracuse and Pawtucket Postponed Friday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Saturday at 1:05 p.m. - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls, Stripers Postponed April 19 - Durham Bulls
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (6-9) at Indianapolis Indians (9-4) - Louisville Bats
- Fleetwood's & TSO Partner for Pub Concert - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indians Add OF Lonnie Chisenhall on Rehab Assignment - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Rally to Top Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Keller, Hayes Headline Five Indians Named as Pirates Organization All-Stars
- Offseason Update No. 1: A New Regime in Pittsburgh
- Indians to Offer Employee Donation Match Program
- Best Games at Victory Field, No. 1: Craig's Homer Walks off Columbus
- Best Games at Victory Field, No. 2: Indians Stun IronPigs in Extras, 8-7