Littell, Wiel Lead Wings to 4-1 Win over 'Pigs
The Red Wings beat the rain and the Lehigh Valley IronPigs Friday night. Zander Wiel hit a three-run homer and Zack Littell turned in his best start of the season for the Wings in a 4-1 victory at Coca-Cola Park.
The win snaps a seven-game losing streak against the pesky first-place 'Pigs this season.
Littell (1-2) earned his first win of the season striking out NINE over 5.2 innings. He allowed just one run on six hits. Littell's biggest strikeouts of the night came in the fourth inning when he struck out both Mitch Walding and Deivy Grullon with runners on second and third to end the threat.
Wiel gave the Wings (5-10) all the offense they would need with a towering three-run blast in the fourth inning (his 4th of the year) that gave the Wings a 4-0 lead. He scored the first run of the game on an RBI double from Adam Rosales.
The 23 home runs hit by Rochester this season - second-most in the IL behind Lehigh Valley -- have accounted for 55% of their runs.
The relief corps of Mike Morin, Matt Magill and Preston Guilmet combined to toss 3.1 scoreless innings.
Both teams dodged rain drops all night long. The game was even stopped for a few minutes in the 8th inning due to the rain.
The Wings will have a chance to win the three-game series in the rubber game on Saturday night. Chase De Jong (0-0, 4.91) gets the ball for Rochester opposite southpaw JoJo Romero (0-1, 10.13).
WINGS THINGS: Four International League games were postponed on Friday night...The Red Wings first 16 scheduled games this season are against either Lehigh Valley or Syracuse...Rochester committed their league leading 19th error in the game.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Mud Hens Falter Late in Extra Innings to Clippers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Hang on for 4-1 Victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Best Tribe Behind Three-Run First - Indianapolis Indians
- Littell, Wiel Lead Wings to 4-1 Win over 'Pigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Littell, Red Wings beat IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Win Series Opener at Victory Field, 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Friday's Bisons/RailRiders Game Postponed - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Game Postponed - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Friday's Bisons/RailRiders Game Postponed Due to Rain - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Postponed on Friday in Norfolk, VA - Charlotte Knights
- Tides and Charlotte Postponed Friday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-4) vs. Louisville Bats (6-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Postponed in Durham on April 19 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Syracuse and Pawtucket Postponed Friday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Saturday at 1:05 p.m. - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls, Stripers Postponed April 19 - Durham Bulls
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (6-9) at Indianapolis Indians (9-4) - Louisville Bats
- Fleetwood's & TSO Partner for Pub Concert - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indians Add OF Lonnie Chisenhall on Rehab Assignment - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Rally to Top Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Red Wings Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Twins Sign Three to Minor League Deals
- Join the Red Wings Giveaway Guarantee Club
- Red Wings Holiday Packs on Sale Now
- Cocos Locos de Rochester Introduced as Part of Minor League Baseball's Copa De La Diversion Initiative