Bats Best Tribe Behind Three-Run First
INDIANAPOLIS - Cole Tucker hit his third home run of the season, but the long ball wasn't enough for the Indians in a 3-2 loss to the Bats on Friday night. Louisville scored three runs in the first inning en route to the series-opening win.
The Bats (7-9) took advantage of an error and a misplayed line drive to tally three runs against Eduardo Vera. Phillip Ervin hit a leadoff single and stole second before Nick Longhi laced a triple over Gregory Polanco's outstretched glove in right. Two batters later, Christian Colon singled to left to make it 2-0. Tucker later committed a two-out throwing error, extending Indy's deficit to three.
As Vera settled in, the Tribe (9-5) plated single runs in the fourth and fifth to creep within one. Tucker opened the fourth with a 394-foot drive to right and one inning later, Ke'Bryan Hayes scored from third on a throwing error by Colon at short.
The Indians put two runners on with one away in the seventh inning, but Sal Romano escaped the jam on an Eric Wood double-play ball to third.
Geoff Hartlieb and Dovydas Neverauskas combined for 4.0 scoreless innings in relief.
Vera (L, 0-1) was tagged with the loss after yielding three runs (two earned) on six hits in 5.0 innings pitched. He struck out four. Odrisamer Despaigne (W, 1-0) tossed 6.0 innings and gave up two runs (one earned) while striking out seven. Anthony Bass (S, 4) pitched around a leadoff single by Jake Elmore in the ninth for the save.
The Indians and Bats continue their weekend series at 7:05 p.m. on Saturday. Right-hander Rookie Davis (0-1, 6.48) will oppose righty Lucas Sims (0-0, 3.77). Indians players and coaches will sign autographs on the Victory Field concourse from 5:30 to 6:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Mud Hens Falter Late in Extra Innings to Clippers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Hang on for 4-1 Victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Best Tribe Behind Three-Run First - Indianapolis Indians
- Littell, Wiel Lead Wings to 4-1 Win over 'Pigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Littell, Red Wings beat IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Win Series Opener at Victory Field, 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Friday's Bisons/RailRiders Game Postponed - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Game Postponed - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Friday's Bisons/RailRiders Game Postponed Due to Rain - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Postponed on Friday in Norfolk, VA - Charlotte Knights
- Tides and Charlotte Postponed Friday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-4) vs. Louisville Bats (6-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Postponed in Durham on April 19 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Syracuse and Pawtucket Postponed Friday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Saturday at 1:05 p.m. - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls, Stripers Postponed April 19 - Durham Bulls
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (6-9) at Indianapolis Indians (9-4) - Louisville Bats
- Fleetwood's & TSO Partner for Pub Concert - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indians Add OF Lonnie Chisenhall on Rehab Assignment - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Rally to Top Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Keller, Hayes Headline Five Indians Named as Pirates Organization All-Stars
- Offseason Update No. 1: A New Regime in Pittsburgh
- Indians to Offer Employee Donation Match Program
- Best Games at Victory Field, No. 1: Craig's Homer Walks off Columbus
- Best Games at Victory Field, No. 2: Indians Stun IronPigs in Extras, 8-7