Grizzlies Get Standings Point in 3-2 Heartbreaker
Rapid City, South Dakota - Rapid City's Cedric Montminy scored with 13 seconds left in the third period to tie up the game 2-2. Rapid City won in a shootout 3-2 as Alex Rauter scored the only goal in the shootout, while Rush goaltender Adam Carlson stopped all 3 shots as the Rush swept the Utah Grizzlies in a 3 game series.
Utah got on the board first as Cole Ully scored the first goal by any Grizzlies skater this week as he got his 14th of the season. Caleb Herbert and Turner Ottenbreit got the assists. Herbert ended the game with 2 helpers on the night.
Rush scored 56 seconds after Ully's goal as Justin Faryna scored his 6th of the season on the power play 17:05 into the first period.
Utah took a lead as Utah scored on the power play as Jake Marchment deflected a Taylor Richart shot into the back of the net with 8:35 left in the third. It was Marchment's 15th goal of the season.
Rapid City had a 6 on 4 with an empty net with 13 seconds left in the game as Montminy scored as bodies were laying on the crease, including goaltender Kevin Carr who couldn't get up in time. It was otherwise a good game for Carr, who stopped 25 of 27 shots as well as 2 of 3 in the shootout.
Special teams played a big role in the game. Utah's power play was 1 for 8, while the Rush were 2 for 5 on the man advantage.
It was a great atmosphere in Rapid City as an enthusiastic crowd of 4731 saw the Rush complete the 3 game sweep, outscoring Utah 7 to 2 in the series. The series shifts to Maverik Center for the final 3 games of 6 between the two teams. Next game is Thursday, March 14th at Maverik Center. Tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com
3 stars of the game
1. Cedric Montminy (R.C) - 1 goal, 1 assist.
2. Justin Faryna (R.C) - 1 goal.
3. Adam Carlson (R.C) - 32 of 34 saves. Stopped all 3 Utah shots in the shootout.
Grizzlies notes: Rush goaltender Adam Carlson stopped 70 in a row before Cole Ully scored with 3:51 left in the first period. Utah had a 38 straight successful penalty kill streak end when the Rush scored late in the first period. Utah has lost 10 of their last 11 games but still are just 3 points behind Idaho for first place in the division. Grizzlies are 2 points behind Tulsa for 2nd place. The goal scored by Marchment was originally credited to Taylor Richart before further review showed that Marchment deflected Richart's shot in the back of the net.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 10, 2019
- Bourke Lifts Solar Bears to 4-3 Shootout Win over Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Survive Late-Game Comeback, Win in Shootout - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Mount Late Comeback, But Fall in Shootout to Cincy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Shut Down Walleye for Second Straight Victory - Indy Fuel
- Marcinew's Overtime Goal Propels Manchester Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Comeback against Admirals with 3-2 Overtime Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Home-Stand Ends with Shootout Victory over Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Run out of Steam in 2-0 Home Loss to the Stingrays - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Steal 4-3 Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Milner Blanks Worcester with 33 Saves - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bligh's First Period Natural Hat Trick Propels Glads to 4-1 Road Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Reading Scores Three Times in Third to Down Beast - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall in a Shootout to the Solar Bears - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Stun Brampton with Three Unanswered in Third, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 10 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 10 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Four-Game Homestand Wraps up Sunday against Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals 11-Day Road Trip Ends with Second Straight at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Martinson Reaches 1,000 Wins as the Americans Beat Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Rush Win in Thrilling Comeback to Sweep Grizzlies - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Get Standings Point in 3-2 Heartbreaker - Utah Grizzlies
- Van Stralen's Hat Trick Gives Thunder 6-5 OT Win - Wichita Thunder
- Tulsa's Streak Snapped in Allen - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Comeback Forces Overtime, Fall 6-5 to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.