Gladiators Overpower Blades 5-3
ESTERO, Fla. - A three-goal third period led the Atlanta Gladiators to victory on Friday night as they defeated the Florida Everblades for the first of two games this weekend at Hertz Arena.
After missing the past four games on the ECHL Commissioner's Exempt List, Bobo Carpenter didn't skip a beat in his Everblades return, scoring on the power play after a setup from Blake Winiecki at 8:46 of the first period. Jake Jaremko logged his 17th assist of the season as the Blades cracked the scoreboard first. The Gladiators evened the score with Derek Nesbitt's shorthanded goal just before the period's end at 18:39.
At the start of the second period, Atlanta jumped ahead 2-1 on a power play marker of their own with 17:38 to go. Mitchell Hoelscher muscled a shot over Parker Gahagen's left shoulder with a helper from Michael Turner. Exactly 14 minutes into the stanza, the Everblades made the most of their 5-on-3 as Avery Peterson hit the twine in his team debut to make it a 2-2 game. The feed reached the former Gladiator in front from Bobo Carpenter at the end wall. Florida netted their third power play goal of the evening courtesy of Xavier Bouchard (17:40) as they extended the lead to 3-2.
A costly Everblades turnover in the slot allowed Atlanta to knot things up at three apiece in the third period with a Gabe Guertler shot from between the circles at 5:07. Nesbitt (9:07) went on to score for the second time of the game on a cross-ice feed from Cody Sylvester, pushing the Gladiators in front 4-3 for the eventual game winning goal. Sylvester's empty netter put the game on ice with 56 seconds left. The Everblades' setback brings them to 19-11-3-3 this season as Atlanta advances to 20-14-2-1.
The Everblades and Gladiators conclude the weekend on Saturday, Jan. 22 inside Hertz Arena. We will honor all of the first responders who work tirelessly, especially throughout the pandemic, on First Responders Night presented by the Cape Coral Professional Fire Fighters. The Blades will wear specialty first responders' jerseys with auction proceeds of the jerseys donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). With warm weather year-round, it's always tailgating season in Southwest Florida! To purchase tickets for tomorrow nights game, visit here.
Every Saturday night Blades home game starts with a tailgate, and live music will be performed by TC Carter from 5-7 pm!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2022
- Solar Bears Fly Past Mariners in 6-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nesbitt Leads Atlanta to Victory with Milestone Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gladiators Overpower Blades 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Lions Defeat Worcester Railers 4-3 Friday Night in Massachusetts. - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Walleye Win Third Straight with 4-3 Victory over Iowa - Toledo Walleye
- Heartlanders Close in Opening Game of Weekend at Toledo, 4-3 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Nailers Deliver the Boom on Kalamazoo, 6-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fly Past the Cyclones on Friday Night - Indy Fuel
- Trois-Riviéres Scores Late Goal to Take 4-3 Victory - Worcester Railers HC
- Cyclones Fall 3-1 to Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Fall in Low-Scoring Affair - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Rally Stalled by Solar Bears - Maine Mariners
- Five Unanswered Goals Drown Thunder, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Jake Kupsky, Mason Mitchell Return from AHL Stints - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Playoff Qualifications for the 2022 Kelly Cup Playoffs - Allen Americans
- Icemen Acquire Forwards Sacco & Harris - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Gameday: Friday Series Opener at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Qualification Rules, Format for 2022 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Worcester Railers HC Re-Sign Veteran Forward Bobby Butler - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 21, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- The Lions - Finally - Are Back in Action - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Everblades and Gladiators Meet up After All-Star Break - Florida Everblades
- Wichita Opens Three-In-Three Tonight vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Glads Get Set for Pair of Games against South Division Leaders - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades Look to Clinch Eastern Conference Title Saturday
- Everblades' Lead Trimmed to 3-1 in Eastern Conference Finals
- Everblades One Win Away from Return to Kelly Cup Finals
- Everblades Claim Third Straight over Growlers
- Everblades Return Home with 2-0 Lead in Eastern Conference Finals