Nailers Deliver the Boom on Kalamazoo, 6-2
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers got some key contributors back in the lineup on Friday night and continued their success from a week ago, as they returned to WesBanco Arena. Shaw Boomhower collected four points in his return, while Cam Hausinger added two goals, and Nick Hutchison tacked on a goal and an assist, as the Nailers rolled the Kalamazoo Wings, 6-2.
The Nailers got a couple of goals at key times in the first period, as they took a 2-1 lead into the break. Wheeling got on the board first at the 11:36 mark, when Shaw Boomhower forced a turnover in the offensive zone, then teed up Cam Hausinger for a left circle one-timer. The Wings answered quickly, when Tanner Sorenson rang in a shot from low on the left side. With less than 30 seconds to go, the Nailers regained their advantage. Josh Maniscalco patiently waited in the high slot, then found Félix Paré, who slipped a shot inside the right post from along the left side of the goal line.
If the opening stanza was good, the middle frame was that much better, as Wheeling blew the contest open with four goals. The first strike came just 24 seconds in, when David Drake stole the puck and fed Boomhower for a one-time dart from the right side of the slot. The power play took over from there, as each of the next three markers came on the man advantage. Nick Hutchison extended his point streak to 15 games by whipping in a wrist shot from the right dot, Hausinger notched his second of the night by tossing in the rebound of Hutchison's backhand, then Bobby Hampton joined the goal parade by banging home the rebound of Adam Smith's initial shot.
Kalamazoo recorded the lone tally of the third period, courtesy of a shorthanded breakaway by Raymond Brice, as the Nailers took care of business for the 6-2 victory.
Stefanos Lekkas backstopped the win in goal for Wheeling, as he denied 28 of the 30 shots he faced. Trevor Gorsuch took the loss for the Wings, as he allowed six goals on 33 shots.
The Nailers will continue their three-game home weekend on Saturday night, when they host the Iowa Heartlanders at 7:10 for First Responders Night. Wheeling and Iowa will also collide on Sunday at 4:10, when the even-numbered players will skate with fans after the game. Season memberships, single game tickets, and partial packages are available, and fans can get more information by calling (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2022
- Solar Bears Fly Past Mariners in 6-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nesbitt Leads Atlanta to Victory with Milestone Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gladiators Overpower Blades 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Lions Defeat Worcester Railers 4-3 Friday Night in Massachusetts. - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Walleye Win Third Straight with 4-3 Victory over Iowa - Toledo Walleye
- Heartlanders Close in Opening Game of Weekend at Toledo, 4-3 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Nailers Deliver the Boom on Kalamazoo, 6-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fly Past the Cyclones on Friday Night - Indy Fuel
- Trois-Riviéres Scores Late Goal to Take 4-3 Victory - Worcester Railers HC
- Cyclones Fall 3-1 to Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Fall in Low-Scoring Affair - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Rally Stalled by Solar Bears - Maine Mariners
- Five Unanswered Goals Drown Thunder, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Jake Kupsky, Mason Mitchell Return from AHL Stints - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Playoff Qualifications for the 2022 Kelly Cup Playoffs - Allen Americans
- Icemen Acquire Forwards Sacco & Harris - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Gameday: Friday Series Opener at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Qualification Rules, Format for 2022 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Worcester Railers HC Re-Sign Veteran Forward Bobby Butler - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 21, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- The Lions - Finally - Are Back in Action - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Everblades and Gladiators Meet up After All-Star Break - Florida Everblades
- Wichita Opens Three-In-Three Tonight vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Glads Get Set for Pair of Games against South Division Leaders - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.