Garrett Wilson Named Penguins Captain
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins announced today that they have named Garrett Wilson as captain for the 2018-19 season.
Wilson is entering his third season with the Penguins, but this will be the first time in his eight-year professional career that he will serve as captain.
"It's a huge honor," Wilson said of being bestowed the Penguins' captaincy. "Filling the void after [Tom Kostopoulos], it's going to be a big job. I'm just going to do whatever I can to help this team. If my teammates need anything, I'll be here to help them and support them."
Wilson, 27, has spent the past four seasons as an alternate captain in the AHL, donning the "A" for the San Antonio Rampage, Portland Pirates and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
The Elmvale, Ontario native set career highs last year in assists (25) and points (42) while skating for the Penguins. Over the course of his previous seven seasons, the forward has racked up 76 goals and 91 assists for 167 total points in 344 AHL games. He has also appeared in 34 NHL games, all of which coming as a member of the Florida Panthers, the team that drafted him in the fourth round (107th overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Defenseman Chris Summers will serve as the Penguins' alternate captain, with the third alternate captain's "A" being rotated throughout the season.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton opens the regular season at home on Saturday, Oct. 6 against the Springfield Thunderbirds. Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins' offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the 20th season of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins hockey, including full season, 22-game, 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's brand new high definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV, which include live and archived games, begin at just $79.99 for the entire 2018-19 regular season. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2018-19 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 4, 2018
- Watch the Heat at Channel Brewing Co. All Season Long - Stockton Heat
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Cleveland Monsters
- Chicago Wolves Reveal Opening Night Roster - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Binghamton Devils
- Rampage Announce Opening Night Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- 2018-19 Opening Night Roster Announced - Texas Stars
- Delia Recalled by Chicago, Rockford Adds Tomkins - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners & SAVOR to Introduce New Food and Beverage Dining Options - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kamenev, Lindholm Assigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Phantoms Ink D Philip Samuelsson to One-Year Deal - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Announce 2018-19 Opening Day Roster - Manitoba Moose
- Former Bear Don Cherry to be Inducted into AHL Hall of Fame - Hershey Bears
- Tinordi Selected as Admirals Captain - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Hall of Fame Announces Members of Class of 2019 - AHL
- Longtime Chicago Wolves Coach John Anderson Earns Place in AHL Hall of Fame - Chicago Wolves
- Kevin Porter Named Amerks Captain - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Announce Opening Night Roster - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Start 2018-19 Campaign in Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Garrett Wilson Named Penguins Captain - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Announce Opening Night Roster - Utica Comets
- Marlies Sign Goaltender Jeff Glass - Toronto Marlies
- Paul Thompson Named Second Captain in Thunderbirds History - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Amerks Open 63rd AHL Season this Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Byron Froese to Reassume Captaincy Duties of the Laval Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2018-19 TV and Radio Broadcast Schedules - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Defeat Thunderbirds, 3-2
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2
- Jarry's 38 Saves Force Overtime, But Penguins Lose, 1-0
- Weekly: Four Atlantic Division Games Populate Penguins' Upcoming Schedule