Gameday: Adirondack at Norfolk
TONIGHT'S MATCHUP: Tonight is the first of back-to-back games this weekend between divisional rivals Adirondack and Norfolk. The Thunder last faced the Admirals on December 11th as Adirondack suffered its largest loss of the season by 6-1 final score. The Thunder will spend the weekend on the road before getting a much-deserved break for the holidays. Adirondack is three points behind Manchester for the East Division lead, while Norfolk sits in last.
WELCOME TO THE GUNN SHOW: Forward Gunnar Hughes scored his fourth goal of the season on Wednesday against Elmira, his third in the month of December. With an assist on Luke Curadi's goal in the first period, he also registered his first multi point game of the season.
SO SHOT IN HERE: Although it did not translate into a winning effort, the Thunder have gotten a large chunk of shots on goal. Adirondack registered 38 shots on goal against Elmira, scoring four times and having a 50% shooting percentage at one point in the first period. The four tallies increased the Thunder's overall amount of goals scored, as they currently sit fourth in the ECHL at 3.24 goals per game.
NOT A RARE O-KIRKANCE: Michael Kirkpatrick continued his hot streak in Wednesday's win over Elmira and have vaulted onto the first page of scoring leaders amongst rookies. Kirkpatrick scored a power play goal in the first period that raised his total to 10 on the season, two short of the current rookie lead. Kirkpatrick also moved out of a tie with Rob Bordson for the overall team lead in goals. The St. Xavier graduate has also scored five points in his last four road games.
THE CURADI KID: Defenseman turned forward Luke Curadi scored his first career professional goal in Wednesday's win over Elmira. The 6'5" skater had played much of the beginning of the season on the blueline but has skated as a forward in the Thunder's last two contests. Curadi has collected two points total (1-1-2) in 17 games so far this season with the Thunder, to compliment a +2 rating.
ABOVE AVERAGE JOE: Thunder defemsenan Joe Faust scored his first goal of the season in Wednesday's win over Elmira. The blueliner collected a feed from Kirkpatrick and beat C.J. Motte to chase the Elmira netminder from the game. The goal gave Faust five points (1-4-5) this season in 14 games with Adirondack. The University of Wisconsin product has also appeared in one AHL game with Albany.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2015
- Jackals Romp Royals, 5-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Roayls Return Home for the Holidays Spoiled by Elmira, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Sinks Eagles in 4-0 Loss to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Third Period IceMen Comeback Edges Slumping Fuel - Evansville IceMen
- Oilers Fall in Overtime to Wichita, 3-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Strike Twice Late to Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Downed by ECHL Leaders - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers End Quad City's Home Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- IceMen Beat Fuel 2-1 - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Halt Mallards' Home Winning Streak - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs Survive Komets in 5-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Stingrays Battle Back, Fall to Everblades 2-1 in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Bottle K-Wings on Bell's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Edge Stingrays in Overtime 2-1 - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Clip Wings with 3-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - December 18 - ECHL
- Moose Assign Blomqvist to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Acquire Torin Snydeman from Utah Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Get Forward Bryan McGregor from Brampton for Future Considerations - Norfolk Admirals
- Malcolm Recalled to AHL Hartford - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Notes: December 18 vs Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Travel to Reading for Meeting with Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Greg Wolfe Returns to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack at Norfolk - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers at Mallards Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - December 18 - ECHL
- Star Wars Night on December 26 - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, December 18th - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Cam Reid Loaned to Utica Comets - Reading Royals
- Oilers Host Thunder Tonight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Edge Beast in Brampton's First Shootout of the Season - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.