Second Period Sinks Eagles in 4-0 Loss to Utah
(WEST VALLEY CITY, UT) - The Utah Grizzlies used a three-goal second period and a 21-save shutout from goaltender Ryan Faragher to defeat the Colorado Eagles 4-0 at the Maverik Center on Friday.
Utah threw 13 shots on net in the first period, holding Colorado to just three of their own, but goaltender Eric Levine stood tall, sending the Eagles and Grizzlies to the dressing room scoreless after one period of play.
The Grizzlies would break the game open in the second period, as defenseman Jason Binkley scooped up a loose puck on the right wing wall and circled behind the net throwing a shot over the right shoulder of Levine and giving Utah a 1-0 lead just 2:02 into the middle frame.
Utah would build upon their lead just over five minutes later when forward T.J. Syner snagged a bouncing puck in the Eagles zone and uncorked a shot between the circles past Levine to make it 2-0.
The Grizzlies weren't finished, as forward Erik Higby took advantage of two Eagles defensemen colliding into one another in the Colorado end and fired home a shot from the low slot to grow the Grizzlies lead to 3-0 after two periods of action.
With the Eagles facing a three-goal deficit, Colorado opted to pull Levine in favor of the extra attacker with just under four minutes remaining. Grizzlies forward Ryan Walters won a battle for a loose puck along the right wing boards and threw the puck into the open net to solidify Utah's 4-0 win.
Colorado and Utah will conclude their two-game weekend set on Saturday night at the Maverik Center at 7:05pm.
Tickets for groups of 15 or more start at just $14 per seat and can be purchased by calling the Eagles ticket office at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2015
- Jackals Romp Royals, 5-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Roayls Return Home for the Holidays Spoiled by Elmira, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Sinks Eagles in 4-0 Loss to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Third Period IceMen Comeback Edges Slumping Fuel - Evansville IceMen
- Oilers Fall in Overtime to Wichita, 3-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Strike Twice Late to Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Downed by ECHL Leaders - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers End Quad City's Home Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- IceMen Beat Fuel 2-1 - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Halt Mallards' Home Winning Streak - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs Survive Komets in 5-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Stingrays Battle Back, Fall to Everblades 2-1 in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Bottle K-Wings on Bell's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Edge Stingrays in Overtime 2-1 - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Clip Wings with 3-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - December 18 - ECHL
- Moose Assign Blomqvist to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Acquire Torin Snydeman from Utah Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Get Forward Bryan McGregor from Brampton for Future Considerations - Norfolk Admirals
- Malcolm Recalled to AHL Hartford - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Notes: December 18 vs Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Travel to Reading for Meeting with Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Greg Wolfe Returns to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack at Norfolk - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers at Mallards Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - December 18 - ECHL
- Star Wars Night on December 26 - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, December 18th - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Cam Reid Loaned to Utica Comets - Reading Royals
- Oilers Host Thunder Tonight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Edge Beast in Brampton's First Shootout of the Season - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.