Gladiators Bottle K-Wings on Bell's Night
KALAMAZOO, MI- The Kalamazoo Wings were led by a goal from Eric Kattelus, but were unable to generate enough offense to overcome the Atlanta Gladiators, as the Wings fell, 3-1, on Bell's night at Wings Event Center on Friday night.
Starting the game with a four-on-three power play opportunity, the Gladiators found the back of the net to open the night's scoring. Standing at the blue line, Matt Register fired a slap shot which found its way past the blocker of Joel Martin, who was shielded by a screen in front of the goal.
Kalamazoo answered late in the first stanza, courtesy of a power play marker. Adam Phillips let loose a slap shot from the right point, which was stopped by Atlanta goalie, Kent Patterson, but the rebound landed on the stick of Eric Kattelus, who wired the puck into the goal for his second tally of the season.
Regaining the lead midway through the second, the Gladiators struck for the fist even strength tally of the night. While working the right side of the offensive zone, Thomas Frazee found a streaking Derek Nesbitt, who found room in the slot, and lifted a backhander over the shoulder of Martin.
Atlanta pushed their lead to 3-1 late in the third period with a tally from J.T. Barnett. Frazee set up behind the net of Martin and placed a feed to the tape of Barnett, who was standing alone in front of Martin and had no trouble burying the insurance goal.
Notes: Kattelus recorded his first goal since October 10 versus Fort Wayne. Kalamazoo was held to four shots in the second period. It was the eighth time this season they have been held to four shots in a period. Kalamazoo had registered at least a point in their three previous games before tonight.
The Kalamazoo Wings continue their season-long five-game home stand on Saturday night with Bell's night, presented by Bell's Brewery. The first 500 fans through the doors will receive Bell's cowbells, and there will be tabling throughout the concourse providing other Bell's branded giveaways. Santa will also be in attendance for photo opportunities.
Single-game tickets are now on sale! Tickets can be purchased at kwings.com or at the Wings Event Center box office. Box office hours are Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. A $2 discount is applied on all tickets purchased before the date of the game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2015
- Jackals Romp Royals, 5-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Roayls Return Home for the Holidays Spoiled by Elmira, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Sinks Eagles in 4-0 Loss to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Third Period IceMen Comeback Edges Slumping Fuel - Evansville IceMen
- Oilers Fall in Overtime to Wichita, 3-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Strike Twice Late to Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Downed by ECHL Leaders - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers End Quad City's Home Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- IceMen Beat Fuel 2-1 - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Halt Mallards' Home Winning Streak - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs Survive Komets in 5-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Stingrays Battle Back, Fall to Everblades 2-1 in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Bottle K-Wings on Bell's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Edge Stingrays in Overtime 2-1 - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Clip Wings with 3-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - December 18 - ECHL
- Moose Assign Blomqvist to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Acquire Torin Snydeman from Utah Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Get Forward Bryan McGregor from Brampton for Future Considerations - Norfolk Admirals
- Malcolm Recalled to AHL Hartford - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Notes: December 18 vs Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Travel to Reading for Meeting with Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Greg Wolfe Returns to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack at Norfolk - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers at Mallards Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - December 18 - ECHL
- Star Wars Night on December 26 - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, December 18th - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Cam Reid Loaned to Utica Comets - Reading Royals
- Oilers Host Thunder Tonight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Edge Beast in Brampton's First Shootout of the Season - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Playoff Run Comes to End as Wings Fall in Game 6
- Game Day: K-Wings Aim to Even Series, Force Game 7 in Cincy
- Bradley, Hildebrand Power K-Wings to Game 5 Victory
- Game Day: K-Wings Host Game 5 Saturday Night at Wings Event Center
- K-Wings Tie It Late But Fall 4-3 on Wideman's Power Play Marker