Atlanta Clip Wings with 3-1 Win
Atlanta opened the scoring for the game 3:08 into the first period with a four-on-three power play goal. Matt Register notched his second goal in as many games with a slap shot from the point that hit off the post and went past Kalamazoo goaltender Joel Martin. Garry Nunn picked up his twelfth assist of the year on the play, while Derek Nesbitt notched his league-leading thirteenth power play point with the secondary helper.
The home team would reply to tie the game at one with just 10 seconds left in the opening frame. Eric Kattelus put Kalamazoo on the board with a shot that went through heavy traffic in front of the net and hit off the crossbar and in. The power play goal marked the Michigan native's second tally of the year, while Ludwig Blomstrand and Adam Philips were credited with an assist on the play.
Nesbitt put the Gladiators back in front 2-1 halfway through the second period. The Atlanta captain notched his thirteenth goal of the year on a backhand shot that beat the Wings goalie glove side. Gary Nunn started the play by bringing the puck into the zone and then dropping it for Thomas Frazee. Frazee then faked a shot and brought the puck into the corner where he dropped it back for Nesbitt who made no mistake for the goal. Nunn recorded his thirteenth assist of the season on the play, and his second of the night, while Frazee was credited with his twelfth helper on the year.
The Gladiators doubled their lead with a goal by J.T. Barnett with only a few minutes remaining in the final stanza. The third-year pro scored his third tally of the year after Frazee fed him with a no-look, behind the back pass in front of the Kalamazoo net. Frazee got his second assist of the game on the play, and his thirteenth of the year.
With the win on Friday, the Gladiators improve to 15-9-1 on the season good for 31 points, placing them in seventh place in the Eastern Conference. The Wings fall to 10-14-2-1 on the year with the loss, placing them in twelfth in the Eastern Conference with 23 points.
The two teams meet again for their second matchup of the season tomorrow night in Kalamazoo. Puck drops at 7:05 at the Wings Event Center Saturday night.
Images from this story
Atlanta Gladiators Mind the Net
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2015
- Jackals Romp Royals, 5-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Roayls Return Home for the Holidays Spoiled by Elmira, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Sinks Eagles in 4-0 Loss to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Third Period IceMen Comeback Edges Slumping Fuel - Evansville IceMen
- Oilers Fall in Overtime to Wichita, 3-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Strike Twice Late to Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Downed by ECHL Leaders - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers End Quad City's Home Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- IceMen Beat Fuel 2-1 - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Halt Mallards' Home Winning Streak - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs Survive Komets in 5-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Stingrays Battle Back, Fall to Everblades 2-1 in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Bottle K-Wings on Bell's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Edge Stingrays in Overtime 2-1 - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Clip Wings with 3-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - December 18 - ECHL
- Moose Assign Blomqvist to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Acquire Torin Snydeman from Utah Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Get Forward Bryan McGregor from Brampton for Future Considerations - Norfolk Admirals
- Malcolm Recalled to AHL Hartford - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Notes: December 18 vs Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Travel to Reading for Meeting with Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Greg Wolfe Returns to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack at Norfolk - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers at Mallards Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - December 18 - ECHL
- Star Wars Night on December 26 - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, December 18th - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Cam Reid Loaned to Utica Comets - Reading Royals
- Oilers Host Thunder Tonight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Edge Beast in Brampton's First Shootout of the Season - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Jerry James Promoted to Team President
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow
- Bonar Steals Crucial Point for Atlanta with Miraculous Performance in Net