Jackals Romp Royals, 5-2
READING, PA - December 18, 2015 - The Elmira Jackals cruised past the Reading Royals tonight 5-2 at Santander Arena. Niklas Lundstrom extended his personal winning streak to five games making 32 saves while helping the Jackals earn their seventh consecutive victory. Jacob MacDonald, Tyler Currier, Mark Bennett, Spiro Goulakos and Justin Kea scored in the winning effort.
Following a stop-and-go start to the contest, the home team jumped on the board first with a goal on the first power-play of the game. With Josh Chapman in the box for tripping, following a tilt with Derek Mathers, Paval Padakin capitalized with his second goal of the season, assisted by Mike Marcou and Adam Comrie. Five minutes later, the Jackals struck back with the tying tally. Mark Bennett streamed down the left wing side and threw the puck on net which was mishandled by Martin Ouellette leaving a loose puck for Jacob MacDonald to bang home. Garrett Klotz also earned an assist on MacDonald's eighth goal of the season.
The Jackals carried their offense into the second and took the lead at 10:10. Seconds after a power-play chance expired Tyler Currier fired a shot from just off the goal line and snuck it through the five-hole of Ouellette leading to a change in net for the Royals. Jacob MacDonald and Garrett Ladd assisted Currier's ninth goal of the season. Less than three minutes later a Reading turnover in the high slot led to Mark Bennett snapping a shot past Connor Knapp, who entered the game in relief for Ouellette, for his fifth of the season coming unassisted.
Elmira held its lead throughout the third period and staved off the Royals' attack especially on a five-on-three penalty kill in the middle of the frame. With exactly two minutes remaining on the power-play Spiro Goulakos pinched in and slammed home the loose puck in the slot for his fourth goal of the season. Just nine seconds later Adam Comrie blasted a slap shot past Niklas Lundstrom for his 10th goal of the season, but it was too little too late for the Royals. Justin Kea added an empty-net goal 16 seconds later, assisted by Mike Seidel, for his fourth goal of the season.
Niklas Lundstrom stopped 32 of 34 shots faced to earn his eighth win of the season. Martin Ouellette allowed three goals on 20 shots as he was forced back into the game when Connor Knapp was injured in the second period. Knapp suffered an injury and the loss, allowing one goal on two shots faced.
Don't miss a minute of the action with Jackals season tickets! Call (607) 734-7825 or visit jackalshockey.com to order your season tickets today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2015
- Jackals Romp Royals, 5-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Roayls Return Home for the Holidays Spoiled by Elmira, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Sinks Eagles in 4-0 Loss to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Third Period IceMen Comeback Edges Slumping Fuel - Evansville IceMen
- Oilers Fall in Overtime to Wichita, 3-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Strike Twice Late to Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Downed by ECHL Leaders - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers End Quad City's Home Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- IceMen Beat Fuel 2-1 - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Halt Mallards' Home Winning Streak - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs Survive Komets in 5-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Stingrays Battle Back, Fall to Everblades 2-1 in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Bottle K-Wings on Bell's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Edge Stingrays in Overtime 2-1 - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Clip Wings with 3-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - December 18 - ECHL
- Moose Assign Blomqvist to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Acquire Torin Snydeman from Utah Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Get Forward Bryan McGregor from Brampton for Future Considerations - Norfolk Admirals
- Malcolm Recalled to AHL Hartford - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Notes: December 18 vs Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Travel to Reading for Meeting with Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Greg Wolfe Returns to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack at Norfolk - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers at Mallards Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - December 18 - ECHL
- Star Wars Night on December 26 - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, December 18th - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Cam Reid Loaned to Utica Comets - Reading Royals
- Oilers Host Thunder Tonight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Edge Beast in Brampton's First Shootout of the Season - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.