Everblades Edge Stingrays in Overtime 2-1
NORTH CHARLESTON, SC - Kevin Lynch scored the game winning goal at 3:35 into overtime to lead the Florida Everblades (20-9-0-0, 40 pts) to a 2-1 win over the South Carolina Stingrays (15-9-2-1, 33 pts) at the North Charleston Coliseum Friday night.
The Everblades opened the night's scoring midway through the first period thanks to an excellent pass from Kevin Lynch to Matt Marquardt. Skating 4-on-4, Lynch found a streaking Matt Marquardt entering the zone. Receiving the puck, Marquardt would skate to the right wing circle where he fired a shot that beat Stingrays' goaltender Mark Dekanich on the short side to give the 'Blades a 1-0 lead.
Down 1-0, South Carolina began to take control of the game entering the second period. Multiple scoring chances were denied by Everblades goaltender Anthony Peters who played absolutely outstanding during the course of the game.
The best of Peters' saves would come at the midpoint of the middle period when South Carolina would force two shorthanded breakaway chances. Both times the Stingrays shooters found themselves denied of a goal thanks to excellent saves from the Everblades netminder.
The third period would follow a similar formula as the first two. Both teams generated some scoring chances only to be denied by some outstanding goaltending from both Anthony Peters and Mark Dekanich.
With both teams being denied on the offensive end for the majority of the period, South Carolina were forced to focus more on their attack in order to seek a potential game tying goal. This gamble would payoff for the Stingrays as midway through the third period, South Carolina would find a way to score.
Beginning to close on the Everblades net, South Carolina would have their initial shot and rebound attempt stopped by a diving Anthony Peters. However, the second rebound rolled right to the left wing circle where Stingrays defenseman Nick Jones fired his shot into the open net to tie the game at 1-1.
With neither side able to find a go-ahead goal late in regulation, the game would proceed to overtime. That is as far as the game would get. At the 3:35 mark of overtime, Captain Matt Marquardt found Kevin Lynch streaking into the Stingrays' zone. Putting on the brakes, Lynch deked around the goaltender before shooting the puck into the back of the net to give the 'Blades a 2-1 victory.
Anthony Peters earns the win for the Everblades, stopping 31 of the 32 shots he faced. Mark Dekanich takes the loss despite an solid night in goal, allowing two goals on 27 shots.
The Florida Everblades will conclude their two-game tilt at the South Carolina Stingrays tomorrow night before taking the following week off for the ECHL's Holiday Break. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Eastern time. Fans can catch the online only game broadcast by CLICKING HERE
Next Home Game
Friday, January 1 vs. Orlando Solar Bears, 7:30 p.m.
Start 2016 with Everblades hockey! Kids eat free in Breakaway Sports Pub with the purchase of an adult entree!
Game Tickets: Everblades tickets may be purchased at the Florida Community Bank Box Office located at Germain Arena, or at any Ticketmaster outlet, or online at www.ticketmaster.com
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price, and also receive an Everblades souvenir! Group tickets are available for all home games. For more information on group tickets, call 239-948-7825.
Full and Partial Season Ticket Packages: We off full and partial season ticket plans that will save your money and fit your budget and schedule. . For more information, call 239-948-7825, or stop by the team's main office located at Germain Arena from Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fans may also stop by our sales tables located in the concourse at Everblades games.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2015
- Jackals Romp Royals, 5-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Roayls Return Home for the Holidays Spoiled by Elmira, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Sinks Eagles in 4-0 Loss to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Third Period IceMen Comeback Edges Slumping Fuel - Evansville IceMen
- Oilers Fall in Overtime to Wichita, 3-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Strike Twice Late to Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Downed by ECHL Leaders - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers End Quad City's Home Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- IceMen Beat Fuel 2-1 - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Halt Mallards' Home Winning Streak - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs Survive Komets in 5-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Stingrays Battle Back, Fall to Everblades 2-1 in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Bottle K-Wings on Bell's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Edge Stingrays in Overtime 2-1 - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Clip Wings with 3-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - December 18 - ECHL
- Moose Assign Blomqvist to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Acquire Torin Snydeman from Utah Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Get Forward Bryan McGregor from Brampton for Future Considerations - Norfolk Admirals
- Malcolm Recalled to AHL Hartford - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Notes: December 18 vs Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Travel to Reading for Meeting with Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Greg Wolfe Returns to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack at Norfolk - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers at Mallards Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - December 18 - ECHL
- Star Wars Night on December 26 - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, December 18th - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Cam Reid Loaned to Utica Comets - Reading Royals
- Oilers Host Thunder Tonight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Edge Beast in Brampton's First Shootout of the Season - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Late Comeback Falls Short in Game 3 Loss to IceMen
- 'Blades Weekly: Division Semifinals Series with IceMen Shifts to Jacksonville
- Bajkov Returned from AHL's Springfield Thunderbirds
- Mack Attack: McCarron Helps Lead 'Blades to 2-0 Series Lead
- Preview: 'Blades Host IceMen, Seek Two-Game Lead in Series