Game Preview: December 13 Newfoundland at Utah
Newfoundland Growlers (18-8) at Utah Grizzlies (9-8-4-1)
Friday December 13, 2019. 7:00 pm MST.
Classic Country 1370, 104.3 FM HD-2. ECHL.TV.
It's the second ever meeting between the clubs. Newfoundland is the defending Kelly Cup champions and they find themselves in first place in the North division with 36 standings points. Growlers leads the league with 100 goals (4.23 goals per game). Grizzlies have played well as of late, with standings points in 8 of their last 10 games (6-2-2 last 10).
Teddy Bear Toss Night
It's the annual Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Ford. This year, the Utah Grizzlies and Ford are proud to partner with the Children's Service Society of Utah. Children's Service Society of Utah empowers families and caregivers through services that support the safety and well-being of children. All donations from Friday night's game will be collected and delivered to the organization. Fans will throw a bear on the ice after the Grizzlies first goal.
Last Game: Newfoundland 4 Utah 3 (Overtime)
Tim McGauley and Griffen Molino each had 1 goal and 1 assist in the Grizzlies 4-3 loss in OT as Joseph Duszak scored the game winner 1:37 into the extra session. Taylor Richart had 2 assists for the Grizz and Joe Wegwerth added a game tying goal 11:12 into the third period to make it a 3-3 game. Brad Barone stopped 21 of 25 in net for Utah.
So Many Nail Biters
Last game for the Grizzlies was a 1 goal game decided past regulation. 6 of the last 8 games have been decided in either overtime or a shootout. Utah has 9 games decided past regulation. 15 of the 22 games this season have been decided by 1 goal. 8 of the past 10 games have been 1 goal games with 6 of those ending in OT or shootout.
This Week's Transactions
Grizzlies acquire goaltender Martin Ouellette in a trade from the Atlanta Gladiators. Ouellette has an outstanding track record in this league. This is his 6th year in this league, where he has a career record of 104-51-12 with a .911 save percentage and a 2.58 goals against average. His best year may have been in 2017-18 with the Florida Everblades where he had a record of 33-5-3 with a 2.02 GAA and a .921 save %. In 27 career games in the AHL, Ouellette has a record of 14-5-3 with a 2.15 GAA and a .930 save %.
Returning to the Grizz roster is forward Travis Barron and Defenseman Josh Anderson. Both players reassigned from the AHL's Colorado Eagles. Barron still leads the Grizz in power play points with 8 despite being in Colorado for more than a month. Barron has 6 goals and 7 assists in 10 games. Anderson has appeared in 2 games for the Grizzlies this season, scoring 1 assist. Anderson appeared in 55 games for the Grizzlies last season.
Grizz released forward Jake Jackson. He had 1 goal in 4 games for Utah.
M&M Boys on Fire
Tim McGauley had 5 goals and 2 assist in the last 3 games. McGauley currently leads the team in assists (12), Points (17) and Plus/Minus (+13).
Griffen Molino has 1 goal and 6 assists in his last 3 games. Molino was a +5 the last 3 games and he's 2nd on the team at +10.
Rookies Finding Their Groove
Joe Wegwerth had a big third period goal for the Grizzlies on Wednesday night vs the Growlers. Joe has 3 goals and 2 assists in his last 4 games.
Brandon Saigeon has 4 goals and 1 assist in his last 5 games.
Recent Special Teams
Both teams went 0 for 2 on the power play on Wednesday night. Last 5 games the power play is 7 for 34. On the year the power play is 19.2 percent, 11th in the league. Penalty Kill last 5 games is
2019-2020 Regular Season Totals
Overall record: 9-8-4-1
Home record: 5-4-2.
Road record: 4-4-2-1.
Last 10 games: Utah is 6-2-2
Goals per game: 3.23 (12th in the league).
Goals against per game: 3.18 (12th).
Shots per game: 30.59 (14th).
Shots against per game: 28.18 (4th).
Power play: 19.2 % (11th).
Penalty Kill: 84.6 % (8th).
Scoring By Period
First Period: Utah 20 Opponents 20.
Second Period: Utah 28 Opponents 25.
Third Period: Utah 19 Opponents 20.
Total Scoring: Utah 71 Opponents 70.
Goals: Josh Dickinson (9)
Assists: Tim McGauley (12)
Points: McGauley (19)
Plus/Minus: McGauley (+13)
PIM: Patrick McGrath (77) - Leads league.
Power Play Points: Travis Barron (8)
Shots on Goal: Taylor Richart (68)
Game Winning Goals: Yuri Terao/Joe Wegwerth (2)
Wins: Jeff Smith (3)
Save %: Hunter Miska (.947)
Goals Against Average: Miska (1.62)
Grizzlies Among League Leaders
Defenseman Taylor Richart has 6 goals this season, tied for most among defenseman. Patrick McGrath leads the league in penalty minutes with 77.
December 13th Newfoundland at Utah - Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Ford. KSL Quarters for Christmas Night. Friday the 13th = $13 tickets.
December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Star Wars Night.
Grizzlies Player Awards
Josh Dickinson - October 2019 Player of the Month. He also was ECHL Player of the Week from October 14-20, where he had back to back hat tricks.
Hunter Miska - November 18-24 Goaltender of the Week.
Grizzlies Reschedule February game vs KC
The regularly scheduled Friday February 21st game at Maverik Center has been moved to Sunday, February 23rd at 5:00 pm. Tickets that were distributed for the game on the 21st will be good to use for the 23rd.
3 Have Played Them All
3 Players have appeared in all 22 regular season games. Taylor Richart, Eric Williams and Kevin Davis. All 3 are defenseman.
Hat Tricks This Season
Josh Dickinson - 2 (October 16th, 18th).
Tim McGauley - 1 (December 6th).
50 Seasons of Hockey in Utah Fun Fact
Dallas Stars interim head coach Rick Bowness played with the Salt Lake Golden Eagles for 2 seasons. In the 1978-79 season Bowness had 25 goals and 28 assists for 53 points in 48 games. The following season Bowness had 25 goals and 46 assists for 71 points in 71 games. Overall Bowness had 50 goals and 54 assists for 104 points in 99 games.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2019
- Ross Scores Twice to Guide IceMen to a 4-3 Win over Atlanta - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers Take Testy Tilt in Rapid City, 3-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Solar Bears Throttle Swamp Rabbits, 5-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Shutout by the Grizzlies in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- (Ugly) Sweater Weather: 'Blades Offense Turns up Heat in 5-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Race Past Fuel with Four Third-Period Goals - Toledo Walleye
- Admirals Come from Behind to Defeat Stingrays 5-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Top Guns Lead Cyclones Past Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Late Comeback Denied in Loss to Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- The Force Is Strong with the 'Clones in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Beast Drop Sloppy Affair against Royals - Brampton Beast
- Stingrays Extend Point Streak to 9 Games in OT Loss - South Carolina Stingrays
- Topping the List, the Americans Win Game 1 of a 4-Game Northern Trip - Allen Americans
- GAME RECAP: Big Rally Falls Short as IceMen Edge Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Quince Records 1st ECHL Goal in 5-2 Win - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Take Teddy Bear Toss Night in Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Derail in Third, Fall 6-2 to Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Comeback Effort Thwarted by Early Deficit in Florida, Fall 5-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Railers Begin Three in Three with a 4-2 Loss to Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- McNicholas Nets a Pair as Mariners Take Fourth Straight - Maine Mariners
- Carrier Scores Lone Goal as Thunder Fall to Americans, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Open 4-Game Road Trip Tonight in New York - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - December 13 - ECHL
- Allen Americans Open 4-Game Road Trip Tonight in New York - Allen Americans
- 'Blades Host First Western Conference Foe of Season - Florida Everblades
- Walleye: Justice League Weekend Jersey Reveal - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: December 13 Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- PWHPA Members of U.S. Women's Ice Hockey Team to Participate in Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic, Presented by Toyota - Wichita Thunder
- Mariners Offer $10,000 Prize During January "Winning 3kend" - Maine Mariners
- PWHPA Members of U.S. Women's Ice Hockey Team to Participate in Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Solar Bears Acquire Johno May from Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Defenseman Monfredo from Orlando - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mar-Chin on Up - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Host Sith Lords from Southern Ontario Friday - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.