Former WBS Coach Mike Sullivan to Guide USA Olympic Team
Former Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins head coach Mike Sullivan has been named the head coach of the 2022 United States Men's Olympic Hockey Team, it was announced Wednesday by USA Hockey.
MIKE SULLIVAN IN NEPA
Sullivan was named Wilkes-Barre/Scranton head coach prior to the 2015-16 American Hockey League season, and guided the club to a 19-5-0-0 mark before being elevated to Pittsburgh Penguins head coach on December 12, 2015.
Sullivan has proved to be one of the most successful coaches in the NHL since he was hired by the Penguins midseason in 2015. He led Pittsburgh to back-to-back Stanley Cup championships in 2016 and '17, becoming the first American-born head coach to win two Stanley Cups.
Sullivan is just the second head coach in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup in each of his first two years behind the bench with a team, following Toe Blake with Montreal.
Since taking over the Penguins' bench on Dec. 12, 2015, Pittsburgh's 251 regular-season wins rank third in the league, while its 41 playoff wins rank second. Sullivan's 251 wins with Pittsburgh are the second-most in team history, behind Bylsma's 252.
Sullivan, 53, previously served as an assistant coach on Peter Laviolette's staff at the 2006 Olympics. He has also represented his home country as head coach of Team USA at the 2007 World Championship and as an assistant coach at the '08 World Championship and '16 World Cup.
The Marshfield, Massachusetts native will be the second U.S. Olympic head coach with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton connections. Â Dan Bylsma, who posted a 35-16-1 mark behind the AHL club's bench during the 2008-09 season, was the head coach for Team USA at the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
Former Wilkes-Barre/Scranton head coach Todd Richards (2006-08) served as an assistant on Bylsma's Olympic staff as well.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 28, 2021
- Forward Chad Yetman Returns to IceHogs and Ready to Build off of 2021 Rookie Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Dell Signs One-Year Contact with Buffalo - Rochester Americans
- Preds Agree to Terms with Luff - Milwaukee Admirals
- Flyers Sign Five Including Return of Fitzgerald, AHL MVP Mayhew - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Davidson Returns on One-Year Contract - Rochester Americans
- Sabres Bring Back Malone on One-Year Contract - Rochester Americans
- Canucks Sign Seven Players to Two-Way Contracts - Abbotsford Canucks
- Capitals Add Veteran Defenders Dylan McIlrath and Matt Irwin, Sign Shepard, Re-Sign Johansen - Hershey Bears
- Nashville Signs Tennyson to Two-Year Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Signs Forward Dominic Turgeon to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Signs Defenseman Jon Lizotte to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Iowa Wild
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Forward Tyler Sikura to One-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract for 2021-22 Season - Cleveland Monsters
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Defenseman Gavin Bayreuther to Two-Year Contract Through 2022-23 - Cleveland Monsters
- Minnesota Wild Signs Defenseman Joe Hicketts to a Two-Year, Two-Way Contract - Iowa Wild
- McCarron Signs for Two Years with Preds - Milwaukee Admirals
- Richard Returns for 2021-22 Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- San Diego Gulls Name Daniel Jacob and Max Talbot Assistant Coaches - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Sign Defenseman Alexander Petrovic to a One-Year Contract - Texas Stars
- Dallas Stars Sign Defenseman Andreas Borgman to a One-Year Contract - Texas Stars
- Colorado Adds Defenseman Andreas Englund - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Signs Forward Bryce Misley to AHL Contract - Iowa Wild
- Former WBS Coach Mike Sullivan to Guide USA Olympic Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Saturday's Penguins Game Postponed
- Tommy Nappier Recalled by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
- AHL Announces Postponements, Schedule Changes
- Almeida and Reilly Reassigned to Penguins from Wheeling
- Penguins Weekly