Derek Lalonde Named Assistant Coach with Tampa Bay
DES MOINES, IOWA - The Tampa Bay Lightning announced today the hiring of Derek Lalonde as an assistant coach with the club.
Lalonde spent two seasons with Iowa, where he amassed a 69-58-17-8 record. His 69 wins and .536 winning percentage are the highest totals by a coach in Iowa Wild history. Under his leadership the Wild posted team records for wins, home wins, road wins, fewest losses and total points in a season. Lalonde was hired by Iowa Wild on June 20, 2016, becoming the fourth head coach in team history.
Lalonde's coaching career started at Ferris State University from 2003-06. With Lalonde on the bench, the Bulldogs captured their first and only CCHA Championship and qualified for the NCAA tournament.
From there, Lalonde headed to the University of Denver, where he served as an assistant coach for the Pioneers from 2006-2011. With the Pioneers, he earned two WCHA Championships and four consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances.
Lalonde left Denver to become the head coach for USHL's Green Bay Gamblers, where he was named USHL Coach of the Year in 2012. That season, Lalonde led the Gamblers to its fourth Clark Cup championship.
Lalonde moved from the Gamblers to the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL in 2014, where he spent two seasons with the club. In his two seasons with the Walleye, Lalonde won a division and Eastern Conference title while making the playoffs in both seasons.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues will compete in an NHL preseason game at Wells Fargo Arena on Wednesday, September 19. Iowa Wild opening night will take place on October 5. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Win Cash, IceHogs Prizes at Anything That Floats Race on August 12 - Rockford IceHogs
- Cronin Named Colorado Eagles Head Coach - Colorado Eagles
- Thunderbirds Sign F Harry Zolnierczyk to AHL One-Way Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Griffins Re-Sign Goaltender Pat Nagle - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Acquire Hinostroza, Oesterle, Hossa and 2019 Third Round Draft Choice from Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Derek Lalonde Named Assistant Coach with Tampa Bay - Iowa Wild
- Joly Signs AHL Contract with Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- San Diego Gulls Sign Scott Moldenhauer to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Chris Forney to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Roadrunners' Summer in Swing with Signings, Schedule, Community Project - Tucson Roadrunners
- Penguins Sign Cramarossa, Burton, Josephs and Spinozzi - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Roadrunners Sign Maggio to One-Year Contract - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rocket Announces Partnership with Laval Police to Benefit Special Olympics Quebec - Laval Rocket
- Sabres Sign Malone to One-Year Contract - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers Agree to Terms with Six Players - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Greg Rallo Named Assistant Coach for Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Learning the AHL: Development - Belleville Senators
- Canes Agree to Terms with Greg McKegg - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Sign Reid Gardiner to a One-Year Deal - Utica Comets
- Checkers Sign Dennis Robertson to AHL Deal - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Tim Army Named Next Iowa Wild Head Coach
- Derek Lalonde Named Assistant Coach with Tampa Bay
- Iowa Wild Announces 2018-19 Home Opener
- Minnesota Wild Signs Seven Players to Start Free Agency
- Minnesota Wild Agrees to Terms with Defenseman Nick Seeler on a Three-Year Contract